• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

low gear in m135

jb31

ok so i have got alot of help with stuff so far with my m135, and have read alot on here about the trans and tcase high and low gear. my truck has been changed over to a manual 5speed at some point in its life. i dont want to go faster i want a low gear that was lost with the removal of the orginal trans. for those of u who have this truck how well is the high gear , im usen it to plow with and haul logs and just use around the place. will i need low gear to push snow, is high gear still a stong gear or should i look for a brownie (over underdrive box) i have installed them in tractor trailers and pickups but never in between the trans and tcase. is it really needed , thanks for your opinion

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't have room for a brownie. Just change the T-case, for one with a two-speed (M35). When I did that, its possible to modify the original T-case to get the two speeds back, but it takes some fancy machine work. Wen that automatic is working, its good. But it is sure a lot of work to make a stick shift out of it. What are you doing with the sprague clutches? When you go from forward to reverse, the automatic tower, self shifted them to their respective positions, otherwise, they drag on the front axle.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is only because the M35 doesn't need two. Some of the outlets, just have covers over them! Also, another application is the T-case from the 211/135 predecessor (don't remember the number). However its load rating is slightly less, but its easy to bolt in. Even the M37, had a T-case that you could attach/run a second rear drive line. It just had a cover over the outlet.

APM215

The front output shaft on a M135/M211 turn the opposite direction then a M35 T-case. You could use one from a WW2 GMC CCKW but the load rating is less. How ever seeing how those trucks were over loaded during the war you probably won't have a problem.2cents

Attachments

jb31

well i just figured out last night about the forward and reverse on the sprag so im in the process of adden another shifter with simple linkage just for the sprag to go from forward to reverse. i have come across small underdrive units from school buses that would fit maybe but its been a few years since i last had one. i have about24inces between the trans and tcase so not alot to work with. im just wanten this truck to have enough power to work like it was from the factory, someone did a great job puten the new trans in but im thinken i will want a lower gear. will the 35 tcase work with the front axle?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot about which way the front drive turns. That would be tough to fix. I did use the earlier T-case. It worked for many years. Then you get rid of the sprague problem too. Probably you will want the lower gear.

jb31

any ideas as to the number of that early case or where to find one, up here old trucks are getten rare , everyone is sellen them for scrap, thanks for your help. i would love to hear of a swap meet or something around sycracuse area or anywhere around upstate ny

M215

Check with Vehicles of Victory located in NY (?), they are a supplier of parts for the CCKW. Most people who replaced the hydromatic used the 5 speed / transfer from the CCKW.

Good luck

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The US-6 would have had a Timken transfer for use with "split" axles. You need a GM transfer from a CCKW or DUKW with "banjo" axles.

Atomic

Jb31, I'm in the same boat. Hopefully next week I'll be getting a trans and tcase for my 211. Should be quite the adventure.....insert ominus music here.............

YkDave

theirs a couple different options. like maybe converting the trans to 4wd and hanging a transfer case behind it (this will give you a low range option) if you have the room for it.

Another possibility, if room is too tight (which it likely is), is doing the same kind of thing as you would with a 203/205 doubler, except you would use the 203 planetary as just a standalone reduction unit. This would take some fabrication to do, but would definitely fit in there.

Then again, what kind of trans is in that truck? how bad is it to get moving? still has the 302 I6 or something else?

You could also try swapping out the trans to something a little more suitable like a 6spd G56 (6.29 first gear) or ZF6 (5.79 first gear). your trans is likely in the 4.x to 5.x range in first gear

Mind you, none of this is going to get you to the 15.x:1 first gear low range of the original 303m transmission, anything helps, especially if youve still got the original gas guzzler in there

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks