• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

low heat

sante

guys
I have a cucv pick up, it produces very little heat . I recently had the theromstat, heater core, and radiator replaced. I also has the heater box, cables checked and lubed. We bleed ,drained, filled, "burped" the system twice. All cables were checked and lubed, everything works. I installed a canvas over grill. I had a cucv blazer that had great heat, Can someone please help?
sante

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you use the diesel specific thermostat?

jimmy-90

When you say that it produces very little heat do you mean the engine doesn't warm up and run right or does the heater just not blow hot air?

sante

heat

Its a 1986 chevy cucv pick up, the truck runs great, the water circulates great and gets hot,(never measured temp?) Its from advnce auto, 190 degrees, told them its for a diesel. This is thermostat number 6 . Tried a Napa as well. The heater blows luke warm, my blazer blew hot air. Is this beast that cold blooded? Please guys Its cold here in Albany,NY.
Sante

markg

Its a 1986 chevy cucv pick up, the truck runs great, the water circulates great and gets hot,(never measured temp?) Its from advnce auto, 190 degrees, told them its for a diesel. This is thermostat number 6 . Tried a Napa as well. The heater blows luke warm, my blazer blew hot air. Is this beast that cold blooded? Please guys Its cold here in Albany,NY.
Sante
after you warm it up, maybe 15 minutes, put your hand on one of the heater hoses going into the truck, you should not be able to hold it more than 5 seconds. if you can your thermostat is open or its not 195F. i have seen the manifold heater fitting stop up, not letting water circulate.

ODdave

2 things, dose the truck have ac? I will explain why I ask if it dose. Look at where the heater hoses attach to the engine, are they in the same exact locations on both trucks?

jimmy-90

Did you put a replacement heater core in it? If so that is likely why the air comming out of the vents is only luke warm. When I replaced my heater core with the one that the auto parts store gave me it did the same thing. If you still have the original one you will probly have better luck if you have it rebuilt. Mine won't even de-ice the windshield now. It barely de-fogs it. I noticed that the auto parts store heater core was made a little bit different and didn't fit quite as well either.

sante

cucv heat

yup, new heater core, thermostat works, luke warm. The parts store looked up and said its take a 190. The garage that just did th thermostat, works on diesels vehicles. They can;t figure it out either. I have a bud thats a army mechanic, i think i'll go to his shop to see if he can give me a hand

lindyp38

im still dealing with stuff that mice took down my heater duct work.......when it blows.....clumbs of fiber blow out the duct work.......

could urs have blocked or restricted duct work.......?

maybe kinked somewhere.....?

sante

cucv heat

guys
i'll state what i've done
heater core replaced and checked-ok
duct work checked-ok
cables checked-ok
radiator replaced -ok circulates
thermostat replaced- 5 different brands
hoses-good
system-burped
engine gets warm
grill blocked
hoses r hot to touch
BTW i'm on crutches, witha compound tib/fib fracture from Harley accident, so i've been paying a mechanic,,,,expensive. So unless i'm missing something simple , i guess i'm gonna be cold.
sante

sante

Guys my cucv m1008 this winter it starting hard, usually needs either. Once i get it started in the am it's fine, till the next morning, then we start all over again
sante

lindyp38

Guys my cucv m1008 this winter it starting hard, usually needs either. Once i get it started in the am it's fine, till the next morning, then we start all over again
sante
if u meant ether......i think thats a big no no........

look to ur glow plugs, relays, air filter....etc.......

southdave

spit balling here, maybe you air bubble in the system? it is common in higher pressure system ie bmw & merc. The heater core seems to be highest point in the system. Therefore causeing and air lock in the core.

pgwaldner

The blend door originally was covered with a material that sealed and insulated it. When I replaced the heater core I recovered the door with padding from fabric store as all of the material had dry rotted off. Makes a world of difference keeping cold air and hot air seperated.

dhedden

Same issue with my M-1009. Hunted up a 195* Robert Shaw thermostat left over from a parts store. Still luke warm air. Problem was the little screw that holds the little clamp on the cable right behind the glove box that opens and closes the door in front of the heater core to block the heat in warm weather. The cable was working properly but it was moving and leaving the flapper door only partially open. The cable has to be secure right behind the connection to the little rod. If you look directly behind the glove box you should see it. I put a new screw in allowing the door to open fully and WOW!!! Now i can run the fan on low in 20* weather and not freeze. I bet this is your problem.

Mikey90744

you say its circulating coolant, are you verifying this at the radiator cap? or are you pulling the return line off the heater core and watching the flow? I only ask because one time I helped a buddy with what your saying basically. his engine was getting to 185* no heat, new heater core and lines pulled em again checked they were clear with a garden hose then we finally discovered rust and other build up from the block had clogged the hose barb that was screwed into the intake manifold. now this was a ford 302 not a 6.2 diesel, but just a thought

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks