• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low Idle

w5ood

Will bad injectors make the 6.2 sound like its idling to low? It feels like its idling to low and actually makes the truck shake a little. Ive turned the screw up a little to make it idle smoother and after a few months it seems to idle the same. I am not sure if I have some bad injectors or not. Also where do you guys buy your injectors? I have replaced all of mine but I am not sure I am happy with them because it has never idled quite as smooth since I replaced them. Thanks

Barrman

How old is your injection pump? My first 1009 had a miss at idle. I did the injectors hoping for a positive change but didn’t get it. A Rebuild of the IP cured all my ills. If yours is more than 10 years since a known rebuild I would suggest that as your next step. Assuming head gasket health and good even compression on all 8 that is.

w5ood

How old is your injection pump? My first 1009 had a miss at idle. I did the injectors hoping for a positive change but didn’t get it. A Rebuild of the IP cured all my ills. If yours is more than 10 years since a known rebuild I would suggest that as your next step. Assuming head gasket health and good even compression on all 8 that is.
IP is about 1.5 years old with maybe 5k miles on it.

Barrman

That shouldn't be the issue then. Pulling the return line check valve and making sure it isn't full of gunk would be a good way to verify it isn't coming apart inside already though.

w5ood

Yea these questions are why I am asking. I have replaced everything from the tank to the IP. We put in a new tank new sending unit all rubber hoses replaced, new IP new air filter new spin on fuel filter all in the last 2.5 years. Nothing made it run like this until we did the injectors. But I am not sure if they can cause it to see like it idles low but since its the last thing we did that seems to have caused the change its the reason I ask. Where do any of you get injectors and what kind / brand? At this point I am just wanting to throw new injectors in it and see what happens. But I want to get some that other people use and are known to be good kind of like the glow plugs there is a consensus that the 60gs are good. I am looking for that for injectors at this point.

cucvrus

If the delivery nozzles caused the idle issue then by all means replace them with the nozzles you removed. I have only ever had 2 nozzles fail after over 25 years of private use and they failed by leaking externally. I took all the nozzles I removed to a shop that tested them before I reinstalled them. And on the glow plugs I have always relied on the stock set up and the A C Delco 13G glow plugs. Tried and true they always came thru in every CUCV I ever owned. I am a strong believer in once you start modifying any thing mechanical it makes it more difficult to diagnose the issue by asking a simple question. Because it it easier to tell you what is wrong when everything is normal stock. Could be a lift pump or does it have an electric pump? This is all part of the equation to diagnose the problem. But you answered your own question. You changed the nozzles and it runs poorly. Return the original nozzles and reflect. Good Luck.

w5ood

Yes I did find the injector that is leaking. Anyone want to share a link to where they get their injectors that are known to work well? I got these from pensicola diesel and the first set had a couple that leaked, now after a year of using them we have a couple more leaking, So I need a different place to buy from that people have used. thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks