• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low Oil Pressure

JRBAMATEX

Guys I have a new problem and it couldn’t come at a worse time.

I have exited corporate America and have decided to put the deuce to work hauling off junk and debris for a while. Please visit WWW.JRBAMATEX.COM .

Anyway I had my first load today and as I am prone to do almost obsessively I was checking my gauges at a stoplight. Oil pressure was reading just above 0 like in the 1or 2 neighborhood. When I accelerated it would climb up to around 30 but would slide back down to around 15 or so. Under steady acceleration in 4th and 5th I could see jumps up into the 60’s but it would always slide back down to 15’s and then inevitably at stop or idle or low RPM’s between gears way on down to nothingness. It doesn’t seem to be making any bad noises and I’d like to keep it that way. Needless to say I am pretty bummed out about the whole thing.

It used to hold just south of 30psi at idle when warm. Not now though.

I need recommendations for troubleshooting. I guess it could be the sending unit but I have no idea how to prove it one way or another. If I had some idea of what the voltage readings should be at different RPM’s maybe I could do something with that. Maybe it’s the gauge… I don’t know.

I can’t find my TPUB CD with all the manuals so I need some help and some things to start trying pretty quickly.

Any ideas?

JR

nickd

The oil pressure swiitch is electrical, check the wire from the sender to the guage maybe there is a break. Also remove the panel and check the ground connection at the guage. The strap that secures the guage must make contact to make the reading correct. Isuspect the erratic readings are caused by a lack of contuniuity.

11ACR-LT

Could be sender,mine did the same thing,after cleaning all the elec connections and grounds, it got better but still wasn't right, new sender solved the problem. I also checked it with a mechanical gauge,just to be sure.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check it with a known good mechanical gauge or, as a last resort, a VOM and pressure transducer.

Boatcarpenter

Check with a mechanical guage. I put a tee in at the sending unit with a 1/8 copper line to a cheap domestic water system guage in the cab and it works great to check both at the same time. Peace of mind with a little redundancy!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JRBAMATEX said:
.... I guess it could be the sending unit but I have no idea how to prove it one way or another. If I had some idea of what the voltage readings should be at different RPM’s maybe I could do something with that. Maybe it’s the gauge… I don’t know.

I can’t find my TPUB CD with all the manuals so I need some help and some things to start trying pretty quickly.

Any ideas?

JR
Here is information that should help (image).

Attachments

JRBAMATEX

Hey guys thanks for all the help. Got out there and messed around with it today. Turned out to be the connection at the gauge.

One thing though. How in the heck do you get the wire off of the sending unit. Don't need to do it now but maybe in the future. It absolutely will NOT come off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks