• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

low voltage on voltmeter after wash

Boisemed

I just washed the engine compartment of my cucv m1009 and now it won't even turn over and it shows low voltage on the voltmeter in the truck. The glow plug relay shows 24V from booster and drops to 17V when the relay "clicks" with ignition switch in the on position. From what I have read here the "booster" is supposed to drop the votage to 12V at the glow plug relay?? I just replaced both batteries to rule out weak batteries. The GPR is the updated silver round type. Everything worked great up to the wash. Any ideas?

IdahoPlowboy

I have been wanting to wash my engine bay myself and have been afraid of the same thing. Did you buy the M1009 from IMP? I saw that it was removed from his website.

mistaken1

Booster? Do you mean resistor?

Perhaps the water shorted something out causing fuse link(s) to open.

Water and electricity do not mix.

Perhaps the pressure dislodged/damaged something. Did you check all of your electrical connections?

Have you downloaded the TMs and followed the troubleshooting procedures in them?

Perhaps something else failed and it is coincidental to the the engine wash.

Boisemed

I am going through everything starting with all the grounds removing and sanding all contacts. It sounds to me like a bad ground with the cliking when you engage the ignition but no starter turnover. The resistor is supposed to drop the voltage at the glow plug relay to 12V? I am also looking at the starter solenoid as a possible suspect.

armytruck63

CUCV's have a warning not to pressure wash under the hood for this reason.

Look for the thread on the Doghead glowplug realy modification to eliminate this resistor.

1stSarge

CUCV's have a warning not to pressure wash under the hood for this reason.

Look for the thread on the Doghead glowplug realy modification to eliminate this resistor.
search "resistor bypass"

Sounds like you knocked the wire connectors off of one or more of the glow plugs; in addition, the higher voltage may indicate one or more bad glow plugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks