• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lowboy trailer for Deuce question

Autocar

I have a halftrack that I want to haul around. Am considering buying a deuce and a tag trailer like a 10 ton backhoe trailer(interstate, zieman, miller, etc.) with air brakes. Anyone done this? Correct me if wrong, but I think deuce has service gladhand that gives modulated air for service brakes(0 pressure normally, harder step on brakes, more air pressure at gladhand) and an emergency gladhand that has full pressure at all times. I think air brake trailers have modulated service brakes and spring brakes for emergency/parking. Apply air to spring brakes and they release. If I am correct, then service brakes should work fine, but for spring brakes you would have to connect gladhands, then turn on valve on truck at emergency airline. When parking truck, would have to turn off truck emergency airline valve and then break connection at gladhand to dump air in spring brakes. If this correct, could I replumb airlines so that emergency airline in not constantly pressured, but is pressurized by a parking brake valve that is added to the dashboard like on a big-rig? Also, how do I connect the trailer plugs? Are male plugs available to fit socket in deuce? Does deuce send 12V or 24V to trailer lights? Any thoughts on this being good idea-trailer probably weighs 5-6K, halftrack 16K so towing over 20k load. Thanks for advice.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We tow the half-track at the museum with a 5ton. We tried it with one of the M35's and it worked well, but you couldn't get out of your own way. You can do it. But make sure all of your brakes are in perfect shape. I would be a bit nervous on some of those northern calforina hills. It may be enough weight to push a M35 in the corners on a steep downhill grade.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made a converter for the deuce to drop it to 12v lights, mainly because I have about 4 trailers to tow. If you are just using that trailer, LED's lights would be the way to go, they work on multiple voltages, I think 10-30 volts.

I would suggest a 5 ton if that is an option. Just by what I have read, deuce will work, but 5 ton would work better.

Dennis

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best advice I can give you is to not use a M35. been there done that. A 5ton will work but you have to remember these tactical trucks are slow slow slow and you will never arrive at your destination if its of any distance in any of type refreshed condition.

I tow my halftrack with a F750. 75mph cruise speed, stereo and AC. best investment for towing moderately heavy MVs I have ever made.

If you planning o towing over 50 miles I would recommend any civilian truck over a military version unless your going off road

Chuck

Autocar

Thank you, guys. I bought a real nice 813 w/cummins, but just sold it. Never did get a trailer. May sound strange, but was too big of a truck for me. Live in suburbs-27 ft long truck no place to park and so heavy was cracking my driveway. Don't plan on going off-road. Plan to use for local events or car shows within 200? miles. May have to use civilian truck-would be much nicer but sure did look cool with halftrack parked behind truck. Any ideas with air brake system and where I get male trailer plug if I go military truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks