• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lower Radiator Hose install

Welder1

Ok I was in the process of replacing all the hoses and belts on my M35A2. All was going well and I was able to replace the water manifold hoses and the oil cooler ones without much issue. I went to replace the lower hose and man what a pain. I had removed the generator belts and rotated it out to gain access to the hose end on the pump. I was able to remove the hose without much problem then the fun began. I found that the best thing to lube my hoses with to ease the install was silicone dielectric grease. It will not harm rubber and makes the hose slide much easier. I slit the old lower hose on the radiator end to aid removal and not pull and wiggle the radiator connection much. The hose came off not much issue and the new hose was an exact match. I lubed up the new hose and finally got it on the pump end. I then had to push the hose back and get the radiator end on. The hose is difficult to position due to tight space. Once in place I noticed it was slightly touching part of a support. I looked at the old hose and it showed marking of touching same spot. I knew this was not right but I put the new one on same orientaion as what came off. This truck has not been touched since coming off of Warner Robbins air base. I realized that hose is backwards. I removed reversed it BAM fits correctly no clearance issues all is good. What I learned is the end with the offset goes on the pump end and the best lube is dielectric grease. Thought that may be of help don't assume things are correct just because it came that way.

Eddie Cannon

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hose is an inch too long. I have to cut every one of them.

Correct hose no matter which way I put them but if left uncut they kink and rub against metal.

Might just be me.

rustystud

Actually don't use dielectric grease on hoses. It can cause leaks and actually allow the hose to slip off. The best thing is Silicone spray. It allows the hose to slip on, then dries and allows the hose to stay in position.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you lift the radiator up about two inches it will make it a lot easier to put the hose on.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced mine. I drained the radiator, then removed all radiator hardware so I could move the radiator around easily. I also removed the fan. Went on without too many bloody knuckles.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
:ditto: I had the same issue with my old truck, I found it way easier to remove the whole front of the truck then try to fight it thru every little thing. It did leave my cuss jar a little less empty too and I agree on the cut hoses post.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks