• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lowering Pintle Hitch

Illgetyou22

New to the board bought a M923A2 with super singles and I'm looking tow my Eager Beaver trailer with a New Holland backhoe on it (about 17,000 pounds plus trailer). Problem I'm running into of course there is a foot difference between the two in hight. Looked around and did some searching and all I could find was receiver hitches people have made and I'm not sure if that's a heavy duty enough option for me with the weight ill be pulling. Has anyone come up with a good solution? Also the trailer has air brakes, will this work with the truck is there anything I have to change? Below is a pic of the trailer pintle.

Illgetyou22

I would be open to this as well, Has anyone done this?

Not sure how post got deleted but here it is again

New to the board bought a M923A2 with super singles and I'm looking tow my Eager Beaver trailer with a New Holland backhoe on it (about 17,000 pounds plus trailer). Problem I'm running into of course there is a foot difference between the two in hight. Looked around and did some searching and all I could find was receiver hitches people have made and I'm not sure if that's a heavy duty enough option for me with the weight ill be pulling. Has anyone come up with a good solution? Also the trailer has air brakes, will this work with the truck is there anything I have to change? Below is a pic of the trailer pintle.

photo 1 (4).jpg

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
'22, I'd go with Jeff's idea and either an attatchment to the trailer or a permanent mod depending if you are likely to be towing the trailer with a lowrider in the future.

Two stout ears (for upwards of 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" bolts) welded on the top and sides of the trailers 'A' frame, at least 18" back from the eye (if not all the way back to the start of the bed) would serve as the basis of a triangulated attatchment that also vertically locks onto the existing lunette ring but at the required height.
Alternatively you can cut-n-shut (and fish plate) the existing 'A' frame to have the ring sit at the correct height....
..... I can sketch either/both if you need to visualise these mods.

Last edited:

Artisan

I think the MAX weight allowed is 15,000 TOTAL for a trailer w/ that truck.
What did the TM say when you checked it?

goldneagle

I think the MAX weight allowed is 15,000 TOTAL for a trailer w/ that truck.
What did the TM say when you checked it?
I would think you can pull more than that if the truck is empty and the trailer has it's own brakes. Just think how much weight a M931 tractor can haul. Same drive train and frame.

Illgetyou22

Trailer does have its own air brakes, pics are helpful my trailer like you can see from the pic does have some adjustment but its already at the max, this could be a good solution, I may have to increase the size of my lunette ring as well. Zebedee sketch's would be great, you guys are awsome!!!!

Last edited:

Csm Davis

They sell the plates with holes predrilled in them in different sizes. Buy one long enough to make up the difference and weld it on with the gussets like you see in the pictures and you are good to go.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IlgU22

.... Zebedee sketch's would be great, ...
... looks like you'll have a prefab'd option rather than haveing to make your own. Keep us posted if you need to follow through with alternatives; sketches, ideas etc.

Illgetyou22

Ok looks like I'm good to go on the hitch, but according to the glad hands ends on the trailer the service and emergency handle are on opposite sides then the truck, anyone seen this before?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks