• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LT. Dan M35a2 Modification Thread

I'm just so frustrated right now. I can't figure out what is going on.

Idk what but you would think with it being ok with no thermostat that nothing was clogged. Radiator gets warm and it doesn't over heat. You put it back in and it over heats again. I guess tomorrow I'm going to drain it and pull the water pump maybe it isn't circulating good enough. Motor was done in '97. But then again why was it fine before and now it isnt. If it was clogged some where you would think it would over heat regardless of thermostat is in or not. And as far as air.... I can't see how there is any air in it anywhere when I cracked all the hoses and didn't get air from any one of them or air out of the block drain. Everything flows great.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Block drain? You get the air out of the top.

welldigger

Possibly. Maybe driving it will get air out of the heads. It's still very strange that even with a new thermostat it's acting up

Yeah Idk I just can't see why major problems would arise like the water pump or a major clog when it ran before fine and if it was clogged why can I get coolant out of everywhere and it drains fine. Also if the radiator was clogged it would still over heat with no thermostat. So I don't get it that's what is frustrating me

I could be the biggest moron on the face of the earth..... could the gauge read incorrectly not being grounded? It swings but could it be off? I'm going to test the sending unit tomorrow and ground the gauge. I have two gauges and both read exactly the same. I'm also going to get a infrared thermometer and try that too..... maybe the engine isn't overheating. Obviously if the engine is running at 160 to 180 degrees I wouldn't be able to hold my hand there long enough cause it would burn me..... Lets hope for the best!

Attachments

HanksDeuce

Dan, when I bought my deuce in Georgia the water temp gauge pegged a few miles after the initial purchase. I didn't tell my wife (who was driving our truck behind me). I stopped at the nearest gas station and I stopped to fill up with diesel. The radiator wasn't that hot, no hissing, no coolant leaks, etc. I chocked it up to a bad sender or gauge. I kept a close eye on all of the other gauges, and I kept the ole sniffer sniffing for coolant. The 2 day trip home was uneventful. When I got home I ordered a new sender from one of the surplus vendors and it worked like a charm. My only other cooling system issue was a leaky radiator cap.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the gauges need to be grounded(mounted).

Problem solved

That's exactly what it was. I went out this morning while I was changing tires I left it ran. Gauge was reading around 140° to 150° and as soon as I touched the mounting stud to the dash to ground it the needle buried itself back to the left reading under 120°. Left it run longer and gauge was showing 180° so I re ground it again and the gauge was barely reading over 120° truck is fine. It never overheated and probably never even got hot enough to open the thermostat. I'm so happy yet so stupid for missing something so simple.

Got both tires mounted and the front is up on my 14.00r20 XL'S. Man so they look awesome!

Attachments

FloridaAKM

It's a learning experiance & you are on a curve. Keep plugging away as she is coming together nicely. Grounds seem to be a big problem on these truck, reguardless if it is corrosion or just not connected!

So i watched the flyers game then mowed grass then messed with the truck a bit more. Didn't start digging into the rust yet. I'll do that next weekend but I started ripping out the copper air lines. I'm going to be re plumbing the entire air system with dot air line and fittings cause I'm tired of it leaking. I won't be running the rear airlines I don't think just to clean up the back end some and I really have no plans on getting a military trailer to tow. I was going to do the fuel system too but since it's not leaking and I'm not having any problems with it i think I will let the system go except for the crossover line in the front of the truck from the primary filter to the injection pump..... That I am definitely going to change to dot line.

Anyhow next weekends plans are to start in the rust. I picked up 2- 4x8 sheets of 20 gauge to fix the spots behind the fenders and I have plenty of heavier stuff to fix the frame work of the rocker on the passenger side. Then I can get inside and under the fenders painted and grill and bumper painted then start the extended cab

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
We don't have too many rust repair threads that are in depth. Please take lots of pics of the steps you take to cut out the rot and put in the patches.

whiskey357

Banned
So looking good so far ....what you in the coast guard..???what you need a snorkel for....Army is land man, not wet you bet ...eheheheheheh keep the pics come;n,,,