• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LT. Dan M35a2 Modification Thread

bonedoc

Looks great Dan. I like where you mounted the boost and Pyro gauge. How difficult is it to bypass the FDC? I've read write ups and looked at diagrams but still have some issues grabbing it. Have to tell you that following your thread is awesome and helps a lot for someone like myself who hasn't purchased a deuce yet.

Man you have to come over some weekend..... it was easy but I'm a shade tree mechanic by nature lol. My dad was a mechanic for 20 yrs and I did truck tires for 13yrs.

All in all I started at 8 this morning. This is what i did.

Primary and secondary fuel filters
All new injector return lines
Removed the flame heater and fuel lines
Bypassed fdc and related rerouting fuel lines
And ran to lowes for more 3/8 compression ferrules

It took me about 4 hrs to do all that including the 30 minute round trip to lowes.

Oh and dot air line ferrules will not work on the deuce compression fittings that's why I had to go to lowes to get regular ones.

I like my gauge setup, I still have to run the power wires for illumination but that will be easy. I don't care for some of the gauges that are two in one and the ones guys mounted in boxes. I think my setup flows nicely and I picked there gauges so they matched the stock gauges pretty closely and red illumination too, I just hope the light isn't overpowering at night.

I do recommend putting them on the column a quick glance down and I can see what I need to see

bonedoc

I agree with you about mounting them on the column. I personally don't care for them mounted high or by the windshield. I watched a video on youtube earlier of a guy replacing all his fuel lines with new plastic tubing. Looked pretty simple and I noticed he used Watts fittings.
I'm sure bypassing the FDC will be easier once I have it sitting in front of me. Lastly....what happened to your headlights and caused them to crack?

Yeah i was in your spot about a month ago..... trying to figure out what the **** guys were talking about since I couldn't look at my truck cause I didn't have it yet. Once you get one you'll understand.

Idk on the lights. Idk if it was cold or shaking from the truck. I left for work they were fine. It was about 5 degrees out and at lunch it was only maybe 15 to 20 so I start the truck every two hours at morning break lunch and afternoon break and let it run. Well at lunch they were all spidered. The guy said maybe I made them to tight. So when I installed them this time I just got them finger tight with some blue loctite and that was all I went. Hopefully it won't do it again cause I don't think they will send me a third set of housings.

bonedoc

I'll have to come down your way sometime. I was down in Allentown last weekend for the Eagle Arms gun show at the Econolodge off Rt.22. Reading isn't too far from there.

skinnyR1

From reading on here and driving my own truck, it seems like your fuel setting is on the higher side already. 15 pounds of boost I believe is high. People turn up the fuel to achieve that level.
For reference my truck pulls about 7 psi max, and I drive it foot to the floor on a couple of long highway climbs at 50 or 55 in fifth on 395's and I max it at 1100f.

It might be it has a what looks like a factory seal on the nut though. And from reading it sounds like 3/16" of threads stick out I have about that measuring it. Maybe it is turned up the motor was rebuilt in 97 and is a Hercules LDT 465 1D. I was thinking about putting a whistler on it but I don't think I will now.

I think I'm going to turn it up a bit more yet. I don't have many hills around and I don't mind "driving" the truck around the bumped up fuel. From all the research I've done it sounds like 1200 to 1250 for about 20 seconds is ok and 1300 being the absolute max.

skinnyR1

I think 1200 is safe, even sustained. 1300 for short term is fine too. Aluminum melt point is 1220f, keep that in mind, so the egts have to sustain higher than that for a good period of time to do damage.
Why the change of heart on the c turbo? If anything, they make less boost. I have a d as well, but consider buying a c just becAuse.

ATPTac

I don't have personally have any data to support it, but everything I've read says the C turbo puts out slightly less boost. But you get the awesome whistle sound! It would appear that C turbo's are one of those things where you either love them or hate them. Our '76 has a C turbo on it, and I absolutely love it, but they're not for everyone. If you do end up wanting to switch to a C turbo I recently acquired a few, if you're interested.

tobyS

Lt.Dan, glad to see you have it running like you want!

A little OT and will start a thread if asked....

I see Deuces (A2's) have several manufacturers of engines. Is one any better or worse than another or are there differences in the turbo that makes one more desirable?

edit.... ATPTac I think you just answered the turbo part. How does one know if it's a C turbo when looking to purchase (is it on a certain make engine) over the internet?

Last edited:
Well I don't think there is a difference bit I have read that the Hercules is mote desirable over the White and continental but who knows.
If it whistles it's a c turbo. My D whistles a little now buy nothing like a c turbo does.

tobyS

I was just wondering as I saw several late models of A2's sell in Georgia GL and I noticed only one had Hercules. For some reason I liked it, if for no other reason than the name.

I may be doomed to give up on deuces and just play with 5 tons. An A3 is expensive and I want auto transmission (yes I know it's a Cat 3116).

I have a 925 with less than 10k and rebuilt at 8k. I haven't got the heart to bob such a nice and OEM truck.

I like the deuces better.... I don't really care for the 5 tins except maybe the 900 series trucks. I'm a long way out from another mv. I have a lot I want to do to my deuce and it's probably going to take a year or more to get it the way I want it with lockers and winches on and on. This year's goal is to get the truck running in 110% mechanical condition and then Bob it and do a extended cab. I don't know if I really care for the looks of a 4 door I just want a 24" to 36" cab extension. Enough so I can put a bench seat in the back and the whole family can go wheelin. Once that is all done then power steering and so on.

The whole plan in the long run with the deuce is to be my big wheelin and mudding truck and a daily driver. I do want to get something else smaller later since I can tow it with the deuce. It will be a off road only truck. The wife wants a hummer in the worst way and so would I but the price tags are ridiculous. There are a few on craigslist around here but most go for $15000 to $60000 dollars. I can build one nasty jeep for half that. I'm thinking a old cj-7 or maybe a bronco styled after a military k-5 blazer. Also I hate chevys (I'm a Jeep/Ford guy) and the diesels that chevy had before the duramax are junk. Maybe a old flat fender willys too but that is all a long way out lol.

tobyS

Go for a drive in a 5 ton. One of the 923's I sold recently went to a guy that has a deuce. He was entirely pleased and reports that it drives better than his deuce, with auto, PS and full air brakes. Now he is bobbing it and making a 4 door. He just purchased (5) 395's for it. I'm considering a set (7) for the 925 (m817 gets the near new G177's).

I think it is insane that our government is destroying Hummers. Then again I see very little sanity in anything our government us doing today.

I just picked up an "electronics shelter"....it would make a cool truck box.

Attachments

ATPTac

Lt.Dan, glad to see you have it running like you want!

A little OT and will start a thread if asked....

I see Deuces (A2's) have several manufacturers of engines. Is one any better or worse than another or are there differences in the turbo that makes one more desirable?

edit.... ATPTac I think you just answered the turbo part. How does one know if it's a C turbo when looking to purchase (is it on a certain make engine) over the internet?
I don't think it honestly matters which engine you have, they were all built to the same specifications. There are people who prefer one manufacturer over another, but I'm not sure it truly makes a difference. Now there are "thick deck" blocks which are preferable.

As far as the visual differences, I just ran out and took some pictures of one of the used C turbo's I have next to the NOS D turbo:

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

The biggest noticeable difference to someone who doesn't have either turbo in front of them (in my opinion) is the clamp that goes around the C turbo. If you see a clamp going around the center section of the turbo, its a C. Other than that when shopping for them online they're usually designated as "C turbo", "D turbo", and "whistler turbo" (the C turbo). Its probably a safe bet that if you're looking for one online if it doesn't specify which turbo it is, its more than likely a D.

Sorry to threadjack LT. Dan... I'll keep it back on topic now. :whistle:

Hey no problem!!! Always good to learn something....

Well I didn't do much today time change is messing with me.... Anyway the fuel and stuff I did yesterday did help a little on the cold starting..... it was about 35° outside this morning and it took about a minute to get it started. Atleast I didn't have to use ether. I turned the ignition on and left the intake pump run for about 30 seconds then commenced to start. I cranked it about 3 or 4 times for about 10 seconds. I do get fuel smoke out the exhaust but no sign of starting till it finally does fire..... I had throttle about 1/4. I must admit once it did start there was no messing with it. It started and ran rough for about 30 seconds and smoothed right out no stalling nothing just ran. So Idk if this is normal for a deuce or what I just would would think it would start a little easier Idk guess I have to get used to it.