• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LTR450K's 64 M416 Trailer

LTR450K

Hey guys,
Got a steal of a deal on this 64 M416 trailer. A guy was going to turn it into a cattle trough and I just couldn't let that happen.
My goal is to completely restore the trailer to it's former glory. Gonna be a long road but I think with the info I can get from this site and some long nights in the garage I can get it done!
Anyway here are some pics!

When I got it home!

Fenders are in good shape!

Lunette Ring. Maybe you guys can tell me what is missing from this area of the trailer....Safety chains, brake cylinder??

This diamond plate was added at some point. Correct me if I'm wrong but that wouldn't have come from the factory, correct? Maybe a civilian added it??

Wiring harness has been cut!

This weekend I am planning to take the tub off and sandblast the frame. I want to get the frame done first, then axle, brakes wiring harness and so on.
Maybe I didn't bite off more than I can chew. Also I do believe the tub floor is going to have to be replaced. You guys know of any places off the top of your head where I can find a new floor?
I'll try to keep you guys updated with pics on my progress!
Thanks for viewing!

Mike

I tried to add pictures as I do on another forum I am a member of and imbed them in the post. It didn't work. It just puts the links up there. Hope that'l work.

Last edited:

LTR450K

After alot of searching and placing calls today it seems nobody makes a replacement floor for the M416. Hope I can salvage the one that's on the tub now. If not I'll just install a new floor. No worries

moose53

After alot of searching and placing calls today it seems nobody makes a replacement floor for the M416. Hope I can salvage the one that's on the tub now. If not I'll just install a new floor. No worries
Jeeppanelsplus.com
makes replacement floor panels for the M416...

Jim

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M100 floors are a little too narrow, I believe about 4-6 inches too narrow.

Nice save on the jeep trailer, they are getting harder to find in nice shape.

Here's his pics attached, so those who can't access other sites from SS can see them.

Attachments

JB

You are missing the two safety chains. Looks like the diamond plate inside is reinforcement for the mount on the front of teh trailer that was definitely not original. I bet it was a rack for a lift jack. Since the bottom sidewalls are not rotted i bet the bed itself will be in good shape. Nice looking project you got there. If you get the urge to cut a tailgate into it let me know, I have one already cut that I might would trade to you.

Last edited:

LTR450K

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I'll check out Jeep Panels Plus. Don't think they have a site anymore but I did see a number on here while searching earlier today.
Thanks maddawg for attaching my pics!
Can't wait to start working on it! :grin:

Thanks JB for the info on the diamond plate. I didn't think it was original! Just didn't seem 1964 ha!

Last edited:

LTR450K

This past holiday weekend I was able to get alot of the dirt and crud out of the tub. I might not be able to salvage the floor. It has very heavy pitting. In fact, the metal strip that covers the front drain plug broke off when I hit it with the shop vac. I'm actually affraid to use my pressure washer on the tub floor. Might blow holes all the way through. I haven't completely given up on it yet though.
I did hit the wheels with the pressure washer and the faded out secondary paint chipped right off. To my surprise was that beautiful OD green paint still in pretty good condition. Just thought it was pretty cool that the old paint still had it's luster after almost 47 years. Of course I'm still going to sandblast the wheels and repaint them.

LTR450K

Update:
I've managed to get the tub removed from the frame. Frame is in great shape. I plan on breaking down the frame this week and I'm going to try to sandblast it this weekend. I sprayed some pb down the cables for the parking brake and found that it still works after all these years. Thought that was cool. I also found a #4 in white stencil located on the front left hand side of the frame after I took my pressure washer to it. I'm amazed at how well the original OD green paint looks underneath that rattle can job.

Attachments

LTR450K

Well I have managed to break down the trailer frame after a few busted knuckles due to rusty bolts. I've cataloged all the bolts in ziploc bags so that I can replace them with new hardware when it comes time to assemble again.
Funny thing, the nuts on the u bolts for the trailer toungue assembly were 18mm...that cant be factory! Haha!
Here are a few pics of the breakdown. I went off to work this morning and left the wheels, meant to bring them to town so I could have them broken down. Oops!

Attachments

LTR450K

Question about the leaf springs

I have a few questions. I would like to break down the leaf springs so that I can sand blast, prime and assemble them before the final coat of paint. I am worried about the bands (circled in the attached pic).

Has anybody had any experience tearing down leaf springs?

Do I reuse the bands or would I need to buy new ones?

Can I even purchase new bands?

Is this a good idea or should I just sand blast the spring pack assembled then prime and paint?

Is there a special tool to remove and reclamp the bands?

Thanks guys

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I restored my old M416 trailer twelve years ago, I beadblasted the springs and the bands weren't that bad a shape, so I left them on. Yours, I can't see from the picture, but if they are very rusted and weak, take the springs to a local spring shop and they can redo them for you for a few bucks. Then beadblast as normal.

LTR450K

When I restored my old M416 trailer twelve years ago, I beadblasted the springs and the bands weren't that bad a shape, so I left them on. Yours, I can't see from the picture, but if they are very rusted and weak, take the springs to a local spring shop and they can redo them for you for a few bucks. Then beadblast as normal.
Ok thanks! The bands aren't really in that bad of shape. My main concern was just cleaning all the gunk and rust from in between the leafs themselves. I'll check with a shop and see what they say about replacing the bands. Thanks for the advice!

LTR450K

Well guys I think I might have screwed up big time. Tuesday night I was attempting to remove the shackle from the front of the leaf spring. It's the 7/8" Hex head bolt with an alemite fitting on the end. I removed the cotter pin and the nut. I was un aware that the bolt had splines and put an impact gun on it. Naturally it sheared the head of the bolt clean off. Stupid, Stupid move on my part. :oops:
Does anybody know where I can find a replacement bolt?
I can't find it listed in the tech manual so I don't even know the part number or the correct name for the bolt.
Maybe one of you guys on here knows where or hopefully has a spare I could purchase.
Thanks guys

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I know what part you are referring to - on one side of the trailer it is right-hand thread (lefty loosey righty tighty) but on the other side it's opposite. Good news is, that part is still made today. Available here for $12.95 each side, partway down the page. I've bought from these guys, very good service.

http://www.rigidsteel.com/y126pC3tIGk0.html

Last edited:

LTR450K

Sweet! I think the part you are talking about is for the rear but I do see that they have a greasable designed bolt for the front that looks like the one I broke. Part #384228. Thanks for link to the site and for all your help!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of a different part, but regardless, Rigid Steel has a lot of the suspension parts for the M416 trailer, as the flat fender jeeps used the exact same parts. Glad I could help.