• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LTT-TQG trailer with MEP-802a genset

hammick

I bought an MEP-802a genset on what I believe is an LTT-TQG trailer. In the photo the genset is sitting on blocks. Once mounted it will be at the same level as the external fuel tank. The seller is delivering the trailer and genset to me in about two weeks.

I have some questions on towing. I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 3/4 with the Duramax engine. I plan to get an adjustable pintle receiver so I can make sure the trailer is level.

Looking for advice on how far forward to mount the genset (I did not buy the external tank but can't rule out installing one later). I would prefer to have it mounted all the way back so I can put other stuff on the front of the trailer. Is the fuel side of these gensets the heavy part or are they pretty well balanced?

Also the manufacturer, Shutt Trailer, says max speed on primary roads is 55mph. I will be hauling this 1200 miles mostly on I-90 which is 80mph. Anyone done 75-80mph with a setup like this? I want to be safe but not sure I can handle trucking across SD and WY at 55mph.

Thanks for any advice.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To keep it stable both a highway speeds and unhooked, put the majority of the weight forward of the axle. If not, it will wag its tail down the road. Is the trailer equipped with a aft support leg? If not ,install one.
Once the CG is correct, it will pull great behind your Chevy.

hammick

To keep it stable both a highway speeds and unhooked, put the majority of the weight forward of the axle. If not, it will wag its tail down the road. Is the trailer equipped with a aft support leg? If not ,install one.
Once the CG is correct, it will pull great behind your Chevy.
Thanks. From the photos I am seeing on GL and GP they usually have them fully back with the control panel facing toward the pin. Any reason for that? Maybe controls forward due to exhaust flap?

Here is an example (it's an 803):

803 on trailer.jpg

I would like to have it all the way back so I can put cargo on the front but don't want an improperly loaded trailer.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
A MEP-802A on a LTT-TQG trailer which you are showing is considered a PU-797A. They are engineered to have the generator mounted in a certain location for CG on the trailer. The true front of a MEP generator is the radiator end. That means the front of the generator is at the back of the trailer. Easier to re-fuel as well.

Link to a PU-797A unit

hammick

Howdy,
A MEP-802A on a LTT-TQG trailer which you are showing is considered a PU-797A. They are engineered to have the generator mounted in a certain location for CG on the trailer. The true front of a MEP generator is the radiator end. That means the front of the generator is at the back of the trailer. Easier to re-fuel as well.

Link to a PU-797A unit
Perfect. Very helpful. That's how I will do it.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I would mount just like the military intended it to be mounted. The generator has it's own CG, the heavy end is forward of the axle.
Going to be a nice set up. Plenty of room forward of the gen. for storage.

Last edited:

hammick

Thanks. Anybody know the pintle height on an LTT-TQG when level and whether the pintle can be flipped?

Last edited:

JRM

My 803 was 1,000 miles away so I picked up a adjustable pintle and flipped it. pulled like a dream at 75MPH
I will measure mine this weekend if no one responds

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_20160311_164240.jpg

Last edited:

hammick

My 803 was 1,000 miles away so I picked up a adjustable pintle and flipped it. pulled like a dream at 75MPH
I will measure mine this weekend if no one responds
JRM by adjustable and flippable do you mean something like this? Nice setup by the way.

Curt Adjustable pintle.jpg

hammick

Well I towed my LTT-TQG setup 1,200 miles to Montana and it didn't slow me down at all. Couldn't tell it was back there running at 80 - 82 mph. I had the tires at 20psi.

hammick

What are the led triangles? The guy I bought mine said he swapped the bulbs to 12v. All my lights work. He said the tail lights also have some sort of night vision built in for lights out convoy driving.

Mine came with an wiring harness he made to plug into a standard round socket.

Guyfang

Staff member
What are the led triangles? The guy I bought mine said he swapped the bulbs to 12v. All my lights work. He said the tail lights also have some sort of night vision built in for lights out convoy driving.

Mine came with an wiring harness he made to plug into a standard round socket.
The "Cat Eyes" are for blackout driving. Two little V shaper things on the bottom of the tail lights. They are not night vision, but show up real nice when you are wearing NVG's. Otherwise, you can see them without NVG's, just not as bright.

hammick

The "Cat Eyes" are for blackout driving. Two little V shaper things on the bottom of the tail lights. They are not night vision, but show up real nice when you are wearing NVG's. Otherwise, you can see them without NVG's, just not as bright.
Thanks for the info. So I assume to get these to illuminate they need constant power? Is it worth wiring them up if they are only going to get 12v?

Guyfang

Staff member
Normally, the cat eyes only turned on when the light switch in the towing vehicle was turned to Blackout Drive. That turns off the headlights and tail lights of the towing vehicle, and the normal trailer lights. It also turns on the cat eyes on the trailer, and the front and rear of the towing vehicle. I assume, always a bad thing to do, gets me in trouble every time, but I assume you are towing this trailer with a POV, (privately owned vehicle) and not an military vehicle. Sooooooooooooo, to get the cat eyes to work, you need to look at the wire schematics for ANY army trailer, and see what wire needs to be jumpered to get the cat eyes to light up.

If you used constant power, they would light up all the time. If you hooked them up to the hot wire for brakes, then they would only come on with the brakelights. Cat eyes were designed to remain on constantly, so the unlucky persons driving behind could see where the heck you are. There is also a Blackout BRAKE LIGHT built into the composite light housing. It acts just like a normal brake light, but much smaller. You can see it without NVG's, but much better with them. Was I too long winded? Kinda sounds like it.

JRM

I swapped the 12 pin for a 7 way trailer plug, when I had it apart I applied power to every wire and couldn't get the LED "cat eyes" to work. I will do a search for a Mil schematic :)
plug 1.jpgmil 4.jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I swapped the 12 pin for a 7 way trailer plug, when I had it apart I applied power to every wire and couldn't get the LED "cat eyes" to work. I will do a search for a Mil schematic :)
Howdy, Being the case, I also assume they (cat eyes) will probably need 24v to work.

M1101, M1102, LTT-TQG around 2008 and newer have Omni-volt LED marker lights, and standard incandescent bulbs in the tail lights.

Yes, re-wired also with a cheapie 7-way plug, all 12v now. You only have 4 wires to deal with. Ground, lights, left and right turn (its also brakes)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks