• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lube in trailer plug?

telwyn

Great post! Glad I saw it. I've struggled for a year getting the nato plug on my m416 into the socket and after using a little dielectric grease, it went on really easily for the first time ever.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
emmando22 is correct. It does -not- conduct, otherwise the pins could become connected. Another example of a di-elctric would be wire insulation. Any grease should be OK. An old truckers trick is to dip the trailer plug in the fuel tank.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't use anti-seize in plugs. It's not grease. "Never Seize" is the stuff with metal flakes in it.

Silicone can cause fish eyes when re-finishing (maybe your vehicle or another project in your shop).

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

There is another product you can use, No-Alox, or Penetrox. Electricicans use this to keep aluminum wires from oxidizing. It also has lubrication qualities that prevent the aluminum screws from galling in the lug. You can find it at Home Depot in their Electrical Department. I've used this on all my trailer connections for years.

Don't use anti-seize in plugs. It's not grease. "Never Seize" is the stuff with metal flakes in it.

Silicone can cause fish eyes when re-finishing (maybe your vehicle or another project in your shop).
I should have been more clear, I didnt meen to use anti seize for electrical connections. I know i kind of got off topic but its something that has saved me a lot of work. it is also something that i store with the dielectric grease so i can find it. maybe.
sorry for the confusion.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Dave, I figured you just meant it's great stuff, and it is. I just thought it would be good to comment considering the topic. It is the only 'grease' I can think of with metal flakes in it. Molybdenum disulfide grease does have elemental metal and used grease may have trace wear related metallic contamination. Neither should create problems electrically.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks