• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lube trailer towing

cornrichard

I just purchase a lube trailer, gasser, from sparta. I plan to pick it up with my deuce. Anything I should know about this trailer as far as towing. Also does anyone know where to find the tm on this. I looked and did not find any in search.
I will post pics as soon as it is home.

jasonjc

I think that there are 2 or 3 difernt TM's for those. They look alike but are made by diferent company and have some diferent stuff.

aboonski

Just towed mine home from Columbia South Carolina with my M1008A1 with no problems at all. I decided to use aftermarket towing lights in vice of the trailer lighting system which proved to be a great idea. I wasn't sure if the bulbs were 12 or 24 volt (probably the latter of the two). These trailers are super heavy - almost like hauling another M1008 behind you in reality. Once you get up to speed, you never know it is back there until it is time to stop. I would have taken my duece for the retrieval but my in-tank lift pump was none-functional and I really need to do a filter changeout before attempting a long drive such as the one I just made (459 miles one way from West Melbourne Florida to Columbia SC). On the way up to SC I got 13 miles per gallon but that changed on the way back. I have 45K miles on the CUCV and had all sorts of concerns over things that might happen like the injector pump going bad, the driveshaft or U-joints letting me down, or the rear end burning up because of the extreme weight of the truck and the lube trailer but that did not happen. I did buy some 90 weight gear oil and filled the differential once again before departure from Columbia SC because I think there's a small leak in one of the seals back there. Lots of hills along Route 26 so I found myself gaining speed (deliberately) and gradually slowing down as I started back up each hill to take some of the strain off of the back end - I hear that's what the truckers do on long hauls. I brought along a gas driven generator and a small Sears compressor and my medium towbar along with two spares for my CUCV and one for the lube trailer (which takes a deuce tire). Lots of additional weight to add to the pile so to speak but wanted to be ready for anything! Having the towbar along was just an insurance policy in case the motor quit or something similar took place. I pumped the tires on the trailer up to 75 pounds to try and eliminate as much drag as possible - fortunbately for me the people at the GSA depot had a nice compressor and were more than happy to let me use it - the tires were super low when I first latched onto the trailer. The representative I interacted with also assisted me with a fork lift to get hooked up for the long ride home. Really nice people up at the GSA yard in Columbia SC! By the way, there's another Lube Trailer up there just like the one I brought home (only better according to the rep - plastic shrink wrap still covering the grease guns, etc.) that should be auctioned off shortly. I paid $605 for the one I bought in case anyone wants to know the price and there were only 4 bids on my trailer.

aboonski

Pictures....I was trying to load them onto the last post but I have Bellsouth Fast Access DSL and when it rains or you hear thunder in the area, the internet access shuts down every time! Each time I tried to load a photo, the DSL light started blinking - that means no internet access! It's doing that again as I type this! Oh well, here goes!

Attachments

aboonski

Not through yet! As you can see, not everything was peaches and cream with this unit! The attachments like the grease guns and metering devices for the gear lube and motor oil were all missing (at first) then I went up and looked in front of the reservoirs (there's a space in that area for storage) and found one of the lube metering assemblies and the trailer pigtail cable; shortly afterwards I fished out one of the missing grease guns from under the compressor. I was somewhat disappointed in the contents of the drawers after seeing Lavarok's spoils that came packed in a wooden crate. Someone undoubtedly made off with a lot of the good stuff somewhere along the line but the nice things, like all new hoses on the reels, were still there. I feel confident that I will be able to obtain some of the missing metering assemblies and one additional grease gun via Ebay auctions. No, I do not plan on buying the other lube trailer that is up at the GSA yard in Columbia SC! If I happen to duplicate any of the photos in this batch - sorry about that! The one picture of the green chair on the front of the trailer is for Faye to sit and sun herself while I grease and lube my Deuce and a Half.

Attachments

jasonjc

I was just looking on LOGSA for a TM and ran across these #'s for lube trailer's not shure if these are all of them or not.

Tm5-4930-206-20P
207-12
207-34
217-14
217-20P
218-14
233-24P
244-24P

Hope these #'s help some of you new lube trailer owners.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks