• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lubing front locking hub assy

four_by_ken

Put bearing grease on them and they will probaly never work poperly again. Use the white spray lube or white lithium grease from gm
And how do you figure that. I have done dozens upon dozens and never had one issue. Keeps the mud out also. Done this on Blazers, trucks... jeeps. All kinds. Warn hubs, stock hubs...

I find this almost comical.

four_by_ken

How does mud get inside a properly installed hub ? I guess warn , ford , chevy , dodge and most hub maufacturers should consult you and change their service specs on hubs and hub installation.
Guess you dont mud bog at all. Its gets in everywhere no matter how well you seal it all. But, you can help by using a nice grease.

You still didnt answer why grease would case the hub to not work.

ODdave

i am w/ PWB. bearing grease is too thick. lithium grease is best, they may operate w/ bearing grease but you run the chance of them not fully engaging therfore making them strip out easier. lubing the sealing O-ring with bearing grease is a good idea though.

POOR WHITE BOY

Been mud boggin and truck pullin all my life i have had/seen water in hubs alot
but i donot see mud going past a good
tight o ring seal. Most of the 4x4 engagement issuses i have seen - in older 4x4 's - is a hub will not engage - 9 times out of 10 is is because the person who installed them used the wrong lube . Hub parts will slide alot easier with the proper lube versus wheel bearing grease. I do wipe wheel bearing grease on the o rings.

dieselpony

Been mud boggin and truck pullin all my life i have had/seen water in hubs alot
but i donot see mud going past a good
tight o ring seal. Most of the 4x4 engagement issuses i have seen - in older 4x4 's - is a hub will not engage - 9 times out of 10 is is because the person who installed them used the wrong lube . Hub parts will slide alot easier with the proper lube versus wheel bearing grease. I do wipe wheel bearing grease on the o rings.
x2
When i got my warn premiums for the D60, the installation sheet says NOT to pack the hubs in grease but to only light lube the assembly.

Walter

91W350

I have been out of the loop for some time, been working too much and mechanicing a lot less. I know it ised to be that when a guy came in with front wheel drive issues.... Frequently it was because the hub had hard dry grease in it and the clods of hard dried lube prevented the hub from engaging. Sometimes they would actually rip the end of the hub splines up from poor engagement. I always got everything as clean as I could manage and applied a thin coat of white lithium during assembly. I had a buddy though that thought STP engine oil treatment was the trick treatment. He just used a thin coat as well. Not saying anybody is right or wrong on this issue. Just sharing some personal experience. Glen

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now granted, my trucks in my previous life had the front axles apart every other month because of water crossings and the like but I used bar oil from my chain saw from time to time. Tried aqua -lube pool grease too but it didn't work too good. Always fighting the water gremlins.

Last edited:

91W350

Bar oil, now that's thinking. It has a great lubing quality and is designed to hang in there. The simple things we learn by sharing. Thanks, Glen

4bogginchevys

I use to use wheel bearing grease with little to no problems, now I use 85-140. I also use it in place of the wheel bearing grease, now I never have issues with the hubs, water or other wise. The old barely usable bearings have returned to a shiny smooth bearing and will work for many, many years to come. I have been using this setup for about a year and a half with no bearing/hub failures. It took about a month to figure out how to keep the oil in, once that was fixed it's VERY smooth sailing....and timken wont be making anymore money off of me!:razz:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just yesterday I had my drivers side hub not engaging. Took it apart and it was full of old wheel bearing grease. I got it to work but will have to tear back into it and clean/relube.

byrnestree

:grd:im new to the forums but can anybody help me out. i purchased warm premium hubs for my 86 cucv m1008, 1 ton dana 60 axle 30 spline. these new hubs wont go over and around the axle shaft wo a lot of force. is this normal or is something wrong here?

byrnestree

x2
When i got my warn premiums for the D60, the installation sheet says NOT to pack the hubs in grease but to only light lube the assembly.

Walter
can u send me a link on what warms hubs you purchased? i bought warm premium hubs for my cucv m1008, dana 60 30 spline axle shaft...and they wont fit on over the actual asle shaft. thank you

dieselpony

can u send me a link on what warms hubs you purchased? i bought warm premium hubs for my cucv m1008, dana 60 30 spline axle shaft...and they wont fit on over the actual asle shaft. thank you

Welcome to Steel Soldiers Forum!

It is Warn No. 38826.
Did you inspect the splinig on your axle shaft and hub housing? Often dirt/rust sits in there and prevent new parts from sliding in easily.

Walter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks