• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lucas oil additive

Snarky

I agree with stumps to a point. If oil additives were good one shot fixes for everything, they would be mandated by law. I wouldn't put Lucas in my sealed for life 4.0L VVT V6 in my Toyota 4x4, it likes light weight 5w30 or 0w30 for less resistance on finely machined parts and higher fuel milage. Lucas doesn't make much sense to add to it.

However, in my 38 year old cast iron giant Inline 6 Multifuel? **** yeah! I mean the deuce was state of the art when the first gasser was designed in 1949 And I'm sure when the military licensed the plans for the multifuel from MAN it was also state of the art; but now things are a little different.

The dry starts with 0 psi oil pressure are no good for a piece of cast iron like this. Combined with the fact that the deuce can be an oil leaking bastard, I think products like Lucas can have nothing but positive effects on this application.

That's what it is, a matter of application. You shouldn't put lucas in a new computer controlled diesel truck with electronic injectors sealed in the valve covers, however, if you have an old dirty military truck that dry starts or an old oil burning car, have at it!

If your deuces oil pan is dry (leak free, not empty), or/and have that fancy mod that prevents drainback, I might think that lucas is an unnecessary addition. But my beach beater M35 that I go camping in? It needs all the help it can get at the least amount of cost.

Last edited:

paulfarber

wow i didnt see how politics and religion and engine oil were all related... Very nice :)
:grd:

People cling to their view no matter what the other side says.

Oil meets strict API standards.. tests are documented, and can be reviewed.

What standards does Lucas oil meet? What testing HAVE THEY DONE? Where is THEIR control engine with a million miles of use? They will not even tell you what is IN Lucas oil. Not one engine manufacturer states that Lucas oil is required. Most will state that they DO NOT recommend anything but oil.

As stated above, why would they develop things like electronic distributors, EFI, etc to get more MPG (and spend MILLIONS upon MILLIONS in R&D) when they could simply dump Lucas oil in the pan and be done with it?

There are all kinds of worthless products you can dump into an engine (fuel injector cleaner, Sea Foam, Lucas oil) that should be making these engines last forever. They don't.

Use a quality API oil of the proper viscosity and change it at the recommended interval. If you want to add stuff... thats fine by me. Just interesting to read how others view the topic... and kinda funny (in a sad way) that they think they are doing a good thing.

militarysteel

read snarkey,s post,

Were talking specific applications.
that is more where i am coming from. big trucks, lose tolerances, old vehicles and warn vehicles .
all great candidates for lucus.

She just runs more like she did when she was new, less friction, more happiness.
Power To The LUCAS!

stumps

Do Oil Additives Really Work

Another opinion. For every website you post that says an additive doesn't work, I can find one that says they do. This site has a few anwers to why government doesn't mandate them or why OEMs don't require them.
Wow! You do realize that this website is hosted by SFR, a manufacturer of after market oil additives, and a major competitor to Lucas? Here is what they had to say about Lucas:

"In regards to Lucas we tested this product in terms of its ability to reduce wear under pressure or even extreme pressure. The results are posted on our website at http://www.sfrcorp.com. Unfortunately it tested near the bottom of all of the additives that we tested."

-Chuck

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! You do realize that this website is hosted by SFR, a manufacturer of after market oil additives, and a major competitor to Lucas? Here is what they had to say about Lucas:

"In regards to Lucas we tested this product in terms of its ability to reduce wear under pressure or even extreme pressure. The results are posted on our website at http://www.sfrcorp.com. Unfortunately it tested near the bottom of all of the additives that we tested."

-Chuck
WOW! Really? Yeah, I read that. I only used that website to try and answer some of your concerns as to why big oil and the government weren't rushing in to save your crankcase.

If you really think Slick 50 destroyed your high milage engine, talk to Quaker State - they own Slick 50. Pretty much all the big oil companies have an additives division - cuz they are in it to MAKE MONEY.

I think EVERYONE knows you aren't using additives anymore - but just because your truck died sometime after you dumped in Slick 50 doesn't mean everything else out there is snake oil and those who want don't have the right to try for ourselves. They way you're carrying on it's like someone is forcing you to drink the stuff.

Using additives is your prerogative. I wanna see defenative proof that it works. Like side by side comparision of engines running with and with out on engine dynos in a controlled environment, by an independent laboratory. Me personally, Id rather put my money toward a prelube system and a centrifugal filter like the spinnerIII.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We should get side by side comparisons on everything. Toothpaste, houses, what's for dinner, the list goes on and on. No more seat of the pants dyno bull. If the opinion doesn't come from guys in suits and coats in a lab, it's worthless. Wonder if that sushi place is any good? Send in the lab, don't ask your buddy. GMC or Ford? Don't ask your brother who has one, check the lab results. Is that girl the right one to marry? If she is, the GOV will mandate it. Smoking must NOT be bad for you - the GOV hasn't outlawed it.

As soon as that Lucas shows up I'm dumping in the toliet!

Um, wait - which oil do I run and how often do I change it? Let me call the Gov, they'll know!

Last edited:

stumps

I think EVERYONE knows you aren't using additives anymore - but just because your truck died sometime after you dumped in Slick 50 doesn't mean everything else out there is snake oil and those who want don't have the right to try for ourselves. They way you're carrying on it's like someone is forcing you to drink the stuff.
Honestly DUG, you're taking this much too seriously. I don't really care if anyone, or everyone in this group decides to use Lucas, or any other additive. I brought a little counterpoint to all of the "me too!" testimonials. Not one piece of independent test information has been posted in this thread about Lucas that is positive. Surely someone out there that doesn't have an ox to gore has done a competent job of testing this stuff and found it to be a good thing?

PT Barnum said once that there is a sucker born every minute. The additive sellers know this. Trying to skim some chump change off of a poor shlub that has a worn out engine that really needs a $3000 rebuild is an easy taking... it feeds on the Power of Wishful Thinking.

I have no disagreement over the fact that mineral oils should have additives. They have been a godsend to the automotive world, and are largely responsible for the routine 200K to 300K engine lifespans we are seeing today. My disagreement comes from the one size fits all scheme that the after market additive manufacturers use. If you are using an oil that already has everything it needs, why would you think that adding more than it needs is a good thing?

Giving a donut to a guy that is starving might be a life saver, but giving a donut to a fat guy that has already stuffed himself full might hasten his demise.

-Chuck

Your arguement is umm hard to find a polite word to describe. We are talking about OIL not food not something not relationships and not the government. Hey I heard about this new part called the TORNADO should give you a bunch of extra horse power and torque TORNADO Air Management Systems :: More Power! More Mileage! I bet if you try it YOU will be able to tell a difference, forget what a dyno tells you!

Its people who blindly believe the claims that keep companies like those that sell slick 50 and zMaxx in business, they stuff has been PROVEN to increase wear!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your arguement is umm hard to find a polite word to describe. We are talking about OIL not food not something not relationships and not the government. Hey I heard about this new part called the TORNADO should give you a bunch of extra horse power and torque TORNADO Air Management Systems :: More Power! More Mileage! I bet if you try it YOU will be able to tell a difference, forget what a dyno tells you!

Its people who blindly believe the claims that keep companies like those that sell slick 50 and zMaxx in business, they stuff has been PROVEN to increase wear!
All through this thread there have been comments to the effect:

If it was worth anything, the gov would mandate it, if it was worth anything OEMs would require it, don't listen to that seat of the pants dyno your buddy is running - get lab tests.

Yawn, whatever. Those who think like that can keep thinking like that. All I'm saying is I have the freedom to pour whatever I feel like into my big ole ugly truck. I've heard and read enough good stuff to decide for myself to try some.

Most of what I decide in my life is based on someone's "seat of the pants dyno" . I picked the city I live in based on other people's input, the school my son goes to, the truck I drive and even the Chinese place I ate at last night. So even though we are discussing an oil additive, the thought process is a lot the same.

And for those who think if it was worth anything your gov would make it law, LOL, hold your breath.

I AM NOT saying that Lucas additive is God's gift to the deuce. I'm saying that based on what I've heard and read I'm gonna drop a few bucks and try it for myself. That shouldn't get anyone's panties in a bunch, but if it does - reach in, grab hold and pull down. Now relax.

rofl

charlietango

guys its ok to disagree and to post up every angle of the argument.

There is a lot to be said about passed down knowledge and personally with this specific type of application 9 out of 10 people I asked said they run Lucas in everything old from field tractors to highway tractors. There has to be a reason all the old buggers running old equipment, who baby all of their stuff, say to use it. And I respect the value of passed knowledge with experience to back it.

That being said I still don't run the stuff in my 1969 Dodge charger. Then again it does not have high miles on the engine and it is a very well built, tight, racing machine.

Farmun

Let's see, .gov won't mandate it, and manufacturers say not to use it. (Now, let's put on our aluminum hats. :wink: ) I say it's a CONSPIRACY !! To prevent longer lasting, better running, more efficient vehicles, just to keep EPA happy, big oil selling more big oil, and car/truck manufacturers selling more cars/trucks.

Yeah, that what it has to be... a conspiracy. ;)

Guys, I'm not serious. Just trying to make you smile...:D

Next time I get pulled over im going to tell the officer "It felt like I was going 55, I dont care what your radar says, if it felt like 55 I must have been going 55" I mean thats the same logic your using to justify Lucas additive.

dittle

Ok guys, this thread has ran its course. Opinions and only opinions have been stated, no real "hard" data has been posted and now its turning into a yelling match. Enough is enough; its time for it to quit.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next time I get pulled over im going to tell the officer "It felt like I was going 55, I dont care what your radar says, if it felt like 55 I must have been going 55" I mean thats the same logic your using to justify Lucas additive.
I don't need to "justify" my wanting to use (I ordered online so I haven't actually got my hands on any) I just have to WANT to. And I can base that WANT just on what I hear other people say, what I read and what I feel. I don't need a lab and I don't need to be swayed by the "if it was any good the gov would mandate it" agruement. Nope, I just have to want to do what I want with my crankcase, diffs, etc. It's legal and not endangering anyone or anything in any way.

And depending on where you get pulled over 55 may be too slow (70 mph limit) or way too fast (25 mph) limit so your speeding arguement needs more case studies to back it up.

:driver:

militarysteel

I mean its not like i am saying the ford(international) 6.0L power stroke is gods gift. :p HA HA

Lucus is good, Use it, i wouldn't throw it in your 2009 toyota, if you do, just don't pour alot , ya might not want to spin a bearing. the wife has a 1993 Chevy 350 TBI, I threw half a quart in, the chevy likes it. cant say it gets better millage, but the oil pressure is up when hot/idle , i put some in her transmission, about half a quart, 3rd gear syncro was getting warn, it does not grind any more.

if your manual trans is a little warn or not smoothly sliding into gear, add lucus, it will help alot,

its like this if your application requires additional lubrication, lucus is for you,

stumps

guys its ok to disagree and to post up every angle of the argument.

There is a lot to be said about passed down knowledge and personally with this specific type of application 9 out of 10 people I asked said they run Lucas in everything old from field tractors to highway tractors. There has to be a reason all the old buggers running old equipment, who baby all of their stuff, say to use it. And I respect the value of passed knowledge with experience to back it.
When we were kids, the powers that be told us to be wary of peer pressure. It is a very strong influence on virtually everyone.

If (for some very strange reason) you want to convince me that Lucas improves your gas mileage, do a double blind test. Have your garage drain your oil, and then either add Lucas, or don't, but either way, don't ask, and don't let them tell you what they did. Go drive a fixed test route and make note of the fuel mileage. Then go back to the garage, and have them drain the oil, and this time do the opposite of what they did before with the Lucas. Drive the fixed test route again, and make note of the fuel mileage when you are done. You should probably play this game at least 10 times if you want accuracy, but...

If Lucas is really a good thing, you should see a remarkable improvement in fuel mileage on one of the two trips, and that improvement should coincide with Lucas being in the engine.

I think that Lucas will make the fuel mileage worse. It is thick as gorilla sn*t, and will raise the viscosity of the oil, which will raise both the bearing friction, and the "windage" losses of the crankshaft splashing in the oil sump. Since you are adding one gallon to 5 gallons of oil, I doubt that any difference you may see would be more than 20%... probably much less.

Prove me wrong. I am always willing to adapt my opinions to align with new factual knowledge.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks