• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lucas oil additive

hdexpert

I agree with the statement about the gubment but we all have the right to our opinion. Bob the oil guy has done some decent research, it just needs to be more in depth. I'm going to contact him to see if he plans on any more tests. Will post the results.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As always, this is my opinion. You are welcome to have a different opinion.

AND

Good! Go with what you know, DUG.

-Chuck
So I can have my opinion, I just shouldn't share it I guess.

I don't know if Lucas does anything. It might not. Even if it does, I have no tests set up to prove success or failure. I do think, in my opinion, that the gov (or OEMs as suggested earlier) would NOT be mandating it even if it was proven to work. There are lots of things that could be mandated that we do know would save lives, money, gas, etc and they aren't mandated.

stumps

So I can have my opinion, I just shouldn't share it I guess.
How ever did you conclude that?

I am pleased to have you express your opinions all you want DUG; however, if you feel the need to drag me into your opinions by reference, don't be surprised when I respond.

-Chuck

stumps

Amen brother! You got to ask "Who/what is it good for?" Higher fuel economy is good for the consumer (me and you), but not so good for the producer (oil companies in way of profits, and the govment in way of taxes on each gallon).
And yet, the federal government just mandated that the CAFE requirements increase from 25MPG to 35MPG. They are forever mandating little stuff like that.

If Lucas could really produce a 50% increase in fuel mileage, it would be required.

If Lucas could really produce a 50% increase in fuel mileage, SOMEONE would have published documented proof of that fact... Even Lucas, who stands to gain greatly from such a claim, doesn't make such a claim, instead they rely heavily on undocumented testimonials from customers.

-Chuck

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How ever did you conclude that?

I am pleased to have you express your opinions all you want DUG; however, if you feel the need to drag me into your opinions by reference, don't be surprised when I respond.

-Chuck
:beer:

While we wait for the men in black to mandate what oil, fuel, additives, oatmeal and whatever else to use, let's have a drink before they bring back the ban on booze......................................:driver:

stumps

It's a shame that we are on such distant coasts. I'd gladly meet you for a drink sometime.

-Chuck

OBTW, the feds have been mandating things about your fuel, oil, drink, etc. for years. Hadn't you noticed? Things like low sulfur, no-lead, low phosphorous, pasteurized milk, iodized salt, fluoride, vaccines, USDA inspected meats, ...

panzerwillie

I have use it on all my diesel engines from cummins, kubotta, izusu and i being runing it in my LDS 5ton on the engine tranfercase , tranny and rear ends for a while...:roll:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a shame that we are on such distant coasts. I'd gladly meet you for a drink sometime.

-Chuck

OBTW, the feds have been mandating things about your fuel, oil, drink, etc. for years. Hadn't you noticed? Things like low sulfur, no-lead, low phosphorous, pasteurized milk, iodized salt, fluoride, vaccines, USDA inspected meats, ...
Come on out to Dirtbag! My bar will be fully stocked!

And, I can't think of an example where the gov mandated the use of a certain off the shelf product. They have said "no-lead" for example, but haven't said which no lead fuel. Arco, Shell, Mobile (even though it is all the same).

My point is simply that even with tests, I do not think the feds would mandate LUCAS for anything even if it did all sorts of great things.

stumps

Come on out to Dirtbag! My bar will be fully stocked!
Thanks for the offer. I am sure to make it to the left coast at some point.
And, I can't think of an example where the gov mandated the use of a certain off the shelf product. They have said "no-lead" for example, but haven't said which no lead fuel. Arco, Shell, Mobile (even though it is all the same).
Let's not get hung up on brand names. The Lucas additive is nothing unique, it is simply a blend of a very heavy petroleum oil base, and some additives. It was around 40 years ago when I was a kid, so any patent they may have had has long since gone into the public domain. If by some strange chance all of the claims made by users of Lucas were to turn out to be true, and you could get a 50% improvement in fuel efficiency, the government would make a law, or mandate, that you had to re-formulate automotive oils to do whatever it is that Lucas does.
My point is simply that even with tests, I do not think the feds would mandate LUCAS for anything even if it did all sorts of great things.
If an oil additive, such as Lucas, could give you 50% better gas mileage, they would pass the law in a blink of the eye. I know that if I could prove the claims to be true I would put everything I own into buying Lucas stock, and spearheading the lobbying effort for Congress to do the deed.

But you are right, it isn't going to happen. Lucas thickens the oil, and if anything it will reduce your fuel efficiency. There is a reason why cars are now using such thin oils. Pumping, and splashing heavy oils around takes a lot of energy.

-Chuck

JasonS

Stumps is dead on. If achieving the CAFE standards were as easy as Lucal oil additive, that is what the automakers would do. Instead, they specify a thinner oil with less friction: 5w20.

bassetdeuce

Late to the game, I will give my 2cents now that things have settled down in this arguement. What I am seeing is that there are a few HUGE egos on this site, even larger than our trucks. Intolerance for opinions different from the "groupthink" that goes on here erupts into pointless p1ssing matches. I propose we all start communicating as if we are all sitting within punching distance to each other. In other words, some courtesy. I will start doing that myself, as what seems like funny sarcasm to me just serves to stir the pot. When reading what seems (to me) like utter BS, I need to learn to let it go or at least not throw in an abrasive comeback. The crap 3116 CAT in boats thread ended up in a member (lonegunman) throwing personal insults towards me, which was stupid and immature, resulting in the zapping of that thread. It reflects badly here. We all have different backgrounds, and for the most part don't know each other IRL, so lets have some respect.

:rant:

Back to the topic, I don't use Lucas because I maintain a small fleet. I try to keep costs to a minimum for reoccuring maintenance items. Lucas, Marvel, Seafoam and BarsLeaks have been around forever, so they all must work to some degree. If its works for you, then fine.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer. I am sure to make it to the left coast at some point.

-Chuck
Good deal then. I still pretty much disagree with everything else, but I'm down with having a drink with a fellow SSer!

:grin:

sandcobra164

There are some ego's out there but even when it comes to personal insults, you just have to let that roll off your back and not respond to it. This is the internet and you never know who you're talking too. There's a saying I remember, "it's best not to argue with an idiot as bystanders may not be able to decide who the idiot is". You can try to be polite but it doesn't always work. Some people are stubborn and you're not here to convince them otherwise. The Cat motor's in the LMTV's I drove never let me down in Iraq, even when one busted it's radiator and had to make it 50 miles back to camp (Temp gauge maxed and all sorts of warning lights and buzzer's going off but couldn't stop in IED Alley). Detroit Diesel powered HEMMT's get bashed all the time for running away but I've never seen it. I'm not doubting it has happened, I've just never seen it. I've beat the stew out of all of the Army's current fleet and currently can't kill my deuce. It all works pretty well if taken care of. And now for my opinion, the Army doesn't use Lucas and neither do I. I used it once in a worn out motor but I'm pretty sure the thicker viscosity is why it didn't smoke as bad. Gear oil is cheaper if your motor is that worn out. That should be enough to get the party started again.

armyvet67

Lucas Oil

I use Lucas oil stabalizer in my M35A2 engine at a 50% rate and it works great. No dry starts anymore. I also use it in the transfer case at a 100 % and in the transmission at 50 % and each axle at the 100% rate. I have no leaks and the engine runs great and pulls most grades in fifth gear with a trailer. Lucas oil is some great stuff. The rings were stuch in my truck when I bought it and I had a lot of blow by but after I changed the oil and added 50% Lucas and drove it 50 miles the blow by was gone and she ran like a sewing machine. The Lucas stabalizer cost about $30,00 dollars a gallon but you can find it on the web for less. Just do a (GOOGLE).

Sgt. Sam

m62

Well boys I've been using Lucas for many years in my farm equipment and my 1957 M-62. And all I will say is it is an engine saver. Also good in all gear boxes. Nuf said.

paulfarber

I use Lucas oil stabalizer in my M35A2 engine at a 50% rate and it works great. No dry starts anymore. I also use it in the transfer case at a 100 % and in the transmission at 50 % and each axle at the 100% rate. I have no leaks and the engine runs great and pulls most grades in fifth gear with a trailer. Lucas oil is some great stuff. The rings were stuch in my truck when I bought it and I had a lot of blow by but after I changed the oil and added 50% Lucas and drove it 50 miles the blow by was gone and she ran like a sewing machine. The Lucas stabalizer cost about $30,00 dollars a gallon but you can find it on the web for less. Just do a (GOOGLE).
So mystery goo will fix compression problems (bad ring = blowby, correct? )

If 50% is good, then 100% is gooder.. I say filler 'er up this stuff!