• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lucas oil additive

jimm1009

I would like to hear from the owner / operators of the Multifuel engines that use the Lucas additive in their oil and also in their fuel systems too.
I was at the local NAPA store and another truck owner came in and he swears by the engine oil additive for his diesels but they are more modern engines.
The instructions say that you can add up to a maximum of 20% capacity in this additive but that is definetly too much for an engine that has never seen anything but 30 wt. all it's life. My engine is a 1986 and no overhauls to date.
It has no leaks and a very minor seep currently so I do not want to induce any leaks either.
As a side note the label says it is also very good for transmissions and transfer cases too.
I believe in baby steps when it comes to additives so.....???

Can anyone that uses this stuff comment on the method that they used for slowly introducing this to their "baby"?

Thanks in advance.

jimm1009

militarysteel

any MV i suggest it, in my M35A2,
i put lucas in my engine, transmission, tcase, all 3 axles
the transmission is where i noticed the most, it shifts smoothly, better millage, less heat, extends life of all fluids, with the engine oil being 5 gallons that is very nice.

and keep in mind you are helping your injection pump, air compressor and Turbo Charger as well, lucas is worth it. i would get a gallon of it save some money,

as far as diesel additive, i added a bottle of this Diesel Kleene to a full tank and got phenomenal millage and power.

Amounts:
2 quart in oil
2 quart in tcase
2 quart in transmission
1/2 quart in each axle

Attachments

Last edited:

dittle

I run Lucas in my engine oil. 2 quarts with every change. Does it help? I don't know but I build full oil pressure in around 8 seconds or less with my STOCK OIL FILTERS.

I'm a bad guy for not wanting to convert to spin ons I know.

saddamsnightmare

March 6th, 2010.

Jimm1009:

Given that deuces are meant to run on 15W-40, anything that can save the engine from dry bearing starts should be investigated thouroughly. I have used the lubrication additive in the crankcase oil on the duece, and the next time I top up the transmission and axles, they will get it also. I used the heavy duty transmission oil additive from Lucas on my 1963 Swiss Army Unimog, and let me say it made a tremendous difference in the ease of shifting the transmission, which as on now only has about 18000 original miles on it since new.
Personally, I don't know what's in this stuff, but if it can assist in lubricating the moving parts of the truck, I say go for it..... It's only my .02 worth,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

wb1895

:ditto: I use Lucas in the engine oil. I can say that it has helped ALOT during start up and it has cut down on the clatter during cold starts. I have also noticed that I build oil preassure much faster during startups.

I use a full gallon in each oil change.

jimm1009

I see where a lot of people are using this but did you actually add a whole gallon the first time around to the new oil?
Although this is a good product it is a little scarey (to me) to add that much to and engine on the first go-around that has never seen anything but pure oil before.
Am I too chicken-sh#t, problaby so I must admit.
What about a 1/2 gallon for about 6 months and then step it up from there wtih oil consumption.
I really appreciate everyone chiming in here so far.
jimm1009

wb1895

As far as adding a whole gallon to the oil, I went on the opinion of a very experenced diesel mechanic when I added that much. I have been VERY impressed with the results. The truck is using less oil and is much easier to start when cold ( it doesent sound like a threw a box of nails in the motor anymore).

That is just my experence with it. Now I have only had the Lucas in the oil for about 2 months and 10 engine hours now.

markmontana

Although this is a good product it is a little scarey (to me) to add that much to and engine on the first go-around that has never seen anything but pure oil before.
jimm1009
I wouldn't worry about adding a gallon of Lucas to your motor- but DON'T add it to a full crankcase, it REPLACES a gallon of oil. Your motor will think it's oil- so no worries...

63sierra10

Though I have not used it I have seen what it does when added to regular oil and run over gears, it runs off slower than just straight oil so that can't be that bad. I mean hey if your bearing and so on stay lubed longer who can complain right? I do know some guys that use it and they swear by it.

oldshep

I use 1 gallon in the engine, 2qts inthe tnans, 2 qts in the transfer case, and a qt or 2 in the diffs. Its good stuff. Engine runs quieter with Lucas and spin on filters. Alot of dump truck guys around here use it too.

robr

:ditto: I use Lucas in the engine oil. I can say that it has helped ALOT during start up and it has cut down on the clatter during cold starts. I have also noticed that I build oil pressure much faster during startups.

I use a full gallon in each oil change.
:ditto:

when you fill the truck back up with Oil put the Lucus in last

ALFA2

I have used Lucas in several fleet trucks in AZ, for over 10 years, disel and gas straight 6 and v8 and have noticed a drop in engine temp from the oil alone. Also, when we had a radiator hose blow on a maintenance truck in the sumer, at 125 F in the shade, the engine overheated and died. We were expecting the worst, but when it cooled off and the hse was replaced, coolant added, it just started up again like nothing had happened. Back later that day, at the shop, l cheked compresion, and oil presure, and it was the same as before the hose blowing. I do not know what causes the additives to work or to what extent, but we use them in engine oil, hydraulic system, PS system, ( runs noticeably cooler) and auto transmissions, shifts stronger, runs cooler, and the transmissions are old, and leak a little when hot, so we have a baseline to compare it with.

As to fuel additive, we only add Lucas to new or rebuilt injectors system as it seems to lubricate the pump and injectors well, runs smoother, quieter, but the cleaning effect is about average.

Over all use it, it works well.

Hope it helps,

ALFA2

wdbtchr

I've used a gallon in my crankcase and roughly 10% in the trans and t-case since I got my M51A2 in 2002. No leaks or problems so far. I guess I do use Lucas in my fuel too since I'm running 100% WMO for fuel.

jfnemt1ff1

One gallon every oil change. I change my oil every fall, and never had a problem. When I was on the fire department we had many diffrent M35s and all types of people driving them in the woods. Some thought it was a bulldozer plowing down trees,never had a engine problem.
John

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My man said to stay from from Lucas. We can raise the Cetain by a lot of things to gain the 4 points we lost but the lube factor is what is needed in these engines.

Last edited:

EZFEED

I use it Jim, great stuff and slick and sticky!!!!:cool:

Put a gallon in my oil, a quart in my tranny, quart in my T-case, 2 quarts in each axle and half a quart in each final drive. Good good stuff. The reason I say this is because my rocker arms, valve springs, etc are all still coated with it when I pull a valvle cover and check it after a week of sitting.

Now I was using RotellaT in the engine before but I changed the oil this year and switched to synthetic. Supposedly you can still use Lucas with synthetic so I add one gallon to the 4 gallons of synthetic. Everythings nice an tight, new seals, etc so no leaks or drips at all. That made a BIG BIIIIG difference and it revs and accelerates sooooo much quicker now.
It's still sticky up top so the Lucas is still doing what it does :mrgreen:

(This is on the Lizard and not the M35A2)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks