• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug Nut Size for M101 A1 Trailer

LEEBS

I have a couple missing lug nuts on a recently purchased M101 A1 trailer. I searched other threads, it says they're 1/2 inch. I bought 1/2 inch white knight lug nuts and they don't thread on. I saw another thread mention 9/16-8 nuts. These are the original studs. Can someone help me out?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4-16 tpi is the thread size confirmed by another member on the other thread you posted on. Note there is a right thread and left thread on these.

The outer size for socket or wrench is 1-1/2

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For future reference, if you are able to you should attach pictures of the part you are trying to figure out. On a lot of these trailers, they are what sometimes gets referred to as "trailer salad" or other such names, with the point being that just because the model says one thing, it doesn't necessarily mean every part of the trailer is that specific model.

For example, the M101A1 model refers to the trailer bed itself. Usually it will be installed onto the M116A1 trailer frame, but not always. It's not uncommon to see the A1 trailer bed on the A2 trailer chassis, or the A2 trailer bed on the A3 chassis. Or sometimes the reverse, the A2 bed will be on an A1 chassis.
When these were in service, a lot of motorpools cared less about keeping everything exactly how the manual says, and would take parts from multiple damaged trailers to make one complete one, and bolt the rest together to turn in for replacement.

Just to say, the model number is just a starting point for where to find parts, but if you're asking for assistance pictures are extremely helpful.

The 9/16 lug nuts are for A2 and A3 trailers with the 8 bolt GM wheels on them, the A1 is supposed to be a 3/4 lug nut and directional on each side, with a 5 bolt wheel like the 2.5 ton trucks used. (EDIT: 5 lug not 6 lug wheel)

Last edited:

Joe Bertram

For future reference, if you are able to you should attach pictures of the part you are trying to figure out. On a lot of these trailers, they are what sometimes gets referred to as "trailer salad" or other such names, with the point being that just because the model says one thing, it doesn't necessarily mean every part of the trailer is that specific model.

For example, the M101A1 model refers to the trailer bed itself. Usually it will be installed onto the M116A1 trailer frame, but not always. It's not uncommon to see the A1 trailer bed on the A2 trailer chassis, or the A2 trailer bed on the A3 chassis. Or sometimes the reverse, the A2 bed will be on an A1 chassis.
When these were in service, a lot of motorpools cared less about keeping everything exactly how the manual says, and would take parts from multiple damaged trailers to make one complete one, and bolt the rest together to turn in for replacement.

Just to say, the model number is just a starting point for where to find parts, but if you're asking for assistance pictures are extremely helpful.

The 9/16 lug nuts are for A2 and A3 trailers with the 8 bolt GM wheels on them, the A1 is supposed to be a 3/4 lug nut and directional on each side, with a 6 bolt wheel like the 2.5 ton trucks used.
5 bolt M-37 style wheel on the 3/4 ton trailer, 6 lug M-35 style wheel on the 1.5 ton version like the M-105

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks