• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug nut size on M105A2 trailer? Anyone know off the top of their head?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well back home again with my new(to me) trailer. At the pick up spot I removed the grease caps and the bearings were clean and plenty of grease in them. Inspected the tires and they are/were in excellent shape. The parking brakes were both free and released and the trailer rolled freely when I checked across the dirt in the lot so no dragging wheel. I opened the air tank drain and no pressure so I left it open a couple of turns.
Hooked up the tow lights and duct taped them as advised and they held just fine. I did not open the tailgate though as the side rails were tied to them and I didn't feel like repacking the whole thing.
As suggested, I stopped about ten minutes out of the yard down the highway and felt the hubs....COLD. Felt them every time I stopped for fuel/pee break and no heat on either, drums cold.
I travelled home at 65+- mph avg. and the trailer towed and stopped like a dream with the Ram 2500. No wagging, no bouncing, no vibrations.

I don't think I'd have attempted this tow using a smaller vehicle for the distance I had to travel and the hills involved. To those who have done shorter runs successfully, congratulations.

Will post a pic or two in a while, its windy and raining and not going out in it right away.

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes, the trip was successful and another piece of military gear is safe and sound here. :beer:

image (4).jpgimage (7).jpgimage (6).jpgimage (8).jpg

As you can see, I had to add and wire a couple of clevises on each safety chain hook up. They were too short to hook in otherwise and I'm glad I had brought them with me. NOTE TO ANYONE GOING TO PICK UP ONE OF THESE TRAILERS. BRING CLEVISES AND WIRE.
The tow angle is still high even with the raised truck but it worked out fine.
Sorry for the finger in the pic, just wanted to show the tow lights and strap used to provide a little night visibility and further secure the side rails.

Last edited:

drivebymashing

Awesome glad to hear. I also got back from my recovery 740 miles later.. my xterra pulled it perfectly stopping was a non issue. Mine does have the 1100 tires. Wierd 20180216_115009.jpg