• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug nuts (and how to bust your own)

paulfarber

Won an M105a2 trailer with brandy new tires (molding nubs and all).

Seeing that the fronts on Milla were cupped it was time for a swap.

The standard budd wrench didn't do anything so off to HF to get the $99 ($79 after 20% off) 3/4th inch air hammer. I didn't have or want to buy the 1/2 hose 3/8ths fittings so I plugged into the 1/4in stuff I already have.

Worked like a charm. I wanted to try truck air, but 115F heat really takes the fun out of rotating tires.

Trailer is getting scrapped, but I will salvage the inner tubes and liners before the tires get tossed. Will wait till it drops under 100F before that happens.

Just a shout out for the cheap Chinese junk everyone loves to hate. Oh, I couldn't find another 3/4th hammer in stock, and online all were $200+.

paulfarber

How I come to my decision:

Torque Multiplier lug wrench: To expensive, limited use.
28V/Slave cable anything: to expensive, no use unless the truck is there
Swench: way to darn expensive

3/4th in HF impact wrench: works off shop air and truck air. Can use it on crank nuts and other large bolts.

There are dozens of ways to do it.. but with just under 1000ft/lbs of torque out of the impact wrench and the $79 cost it was simple to pull the trigger on one.

Everything else on that list is over $200. The swench is over a grand new. Plus I needed to get it done this week. None of the above other than the HF impact gun was in driving distance.

paulfarber

I still don't see the allure of the 28V robodrill. Its a $300 paperweight. Unless you have a source of 28V other than the truck... what other use is it?

It list 25 amp draw so you would not need to idle the truck... but I would. Only thing that sucks worse than a flat is a dead battery... that you caused when you drained them changing the tire. Unless you get another truck to jump you you are dead in the water.

Bill W

I have the HF cheapo for my deuce also but the torque mutiplier has its place especially if the inner and outer nuts/caps are stuck together

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What do oyu do when the bigass cheap pipe bends or brakes your braker bar or ratchet ?
use a heavier cheater pipe, and get another drive out of the tool box, ALWAYS carry 2 drives and more then 1 cheater/binder pull down on the 819

3dAngus

I was very lucky on my first one. Just used a big ole pipe wrench, about three foot long. They came right off with a little help from PB applied an hour before. I was surprised to see the right hand side was reverse threaded, so the first lug was a bit of a problem. rofl
The lugs were so tough though there was no indication of any burring at all from the removal, and they made great counterweights for the CTIS on my M35A3. It helped removed some of the bounce, along with rounding out the old tires through driving and airing up the tires to 50lbs.

AMGeneral

"Guys, what is the correct torque for the lug nuts on the m35? The humvee is only 110 lbs.. so I am just curious what you are up against."

450 ft/lbs I think

My tool of choice to remove/install lug nuts both inner and outer is a Ingersol Rand 1 inch drive extended anvil impact gun,1800 ft/lbs no waiting.

it'll either break them loose or snap the stud.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm lucky enough to have a couple of the geared wrenches and a 1" impact. The impact doesn't fool around but the weight of it starts adding up once you get to 30 or 40 lugnuts much less the 100 that are on a 5 ton.

A

A/C Cages

I cheat, I use a Phil for everything. lol
Phil is the mechanic who works for me, lol

I had a couple that would not come off with my 1" impact. I used the duece tool with pipe wrench on a jackstand, with 14 feet of heavy walled pipe...pulled the threads off 2 studs. Put 2 new sets of studs,cap nuts and nuts on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks