• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug nuts (and how to bust your own)

fstfrdy

i got mine from napa NPT 616826 for 3/4 dr. NPT 617826 for 1" dr. as far as the cheater bar method i broke three extension with a breaker bar and a four foot piece of pipe. then found a 1"dr impact at a local swap meet for 60 dollars and couldnt pass it up. as far as torque qoes they use the same lugs as some older semi's and the torque for those are in the neighborhood of 650ft/lbs(if i remember right)

kastein

I got AutoZone's finest no-name 3/4" drive ratchet, a couple feet of 3/4" extensions, and a 1.5" socket. Haven't had to figure out what I will do with the Budd nuts however.

I have already swapped out my front tires (badly cupped) and only needed about a 2 foot cheater bar (half of my hydro jack handle) after I figured out which direction I was supposed to turn to loosen rofl I can put about 200-250 ft-lbs into a fastener with a 1 foot wrench on a good day though so with a 2 foot long ratchet and another foot and a half or so of cheater bar torquing everything down wasn't a problem. My problem is usually breaking things, because my arm is calibrated for 4 torque specs... tight, real tight, bastard tight, and 1/4 turn after it breaks rofl

Bill W

Before I got my torque mutiplier I would only tighten them up with a budd socket and bar to which if I had a flat on the road I knew I could get them off again to change it

Flyingvan911

A few of us around KC got together to help a member fix a bad bearing seal. We also loosened all the nuts and greased the lugs slightly to help them come off easier next time. We used a torch to heat up the stuck ones. They went back on alot easier.

stumps

A few of us around KC got together to help a member fix a bad bearing seal. We also loosened all the nuts and greased the lugs slightly to help them come off easier next time. We used a torch to heat up the stuck ones. They went back on alot easier.
Do a google search on greasing lug nuts to find out why this is a very bad idea.

-Chuck

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Do a google search on greasing lug nuts to find out why this is a very bad idea-Chuck
ALSO look up why this might NOT be a GOOD idea (could end in a BIG BANG )

Last edited:

Chevracer87

Bent two cheater bars in the shape of a pretzel before I went out and bought the HH 3/4 inch gun. Gets each lug off in seconds. Wish I would have had it to begin with, would have saved my back!

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I changed out all of my tires, I had an issue with the very last lug on the last inner tire. After using two impact guns; a torch; a lug wrench and 10 foot bar; a sledge hammer and lots of cussing, I ground through the cap nut with a grinder. It was much easier after that. A new stud and cap nut and I was good to go!

BruceB

Newbie here.

I'll soon be setting-up my truck with its on-board tool inventory.

It's IMPLIED on this thread that the truck's air system is capable of running the 3/4" -drive impact wrench. Is this correct? If so, what size hose is needed, and I ASSume it's connected to the gladhands on the rear of the vehicle. es verdad?

As old as I am, I need all the help I can get in rassling these big tires (14.00-20 Michelin XL). The impact wrench would be a huge benefit, although I'll also have the conventional breaker bar/pipe cheater just in case.

Off-topic.....how about some kind of good floodlight in the tool kit, too? Murphy sez that most difficulties will happen after dark, just to add some spice to the situation...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you are in no hurry, you can operate the impacts off of truck air. The compressor is slow and tank capacity small so you will find yourself waiting. I have a 1" which uses quite a bit of air and all at once. My solution was a 9 gallon portable air tank. I put 10' of 1/2" hose on this tank and run that to the gun. Run a regualr 3/8 hose from the gladhand to the tank to fill it. The extra capacity works out great. Today's LED technology is great. Lots of different lights out there that run on batts. I have a magnetic LED light in all of my trucks and have now outfitted them with LED magnetic amber flashers.

Crawdaddy

I run that same 3/4" impact gun as the original poster off the gladhand with a 1/2" air hose and fittings. Other than waiting for the air tank to initially charge up, I don't have any waiting to get all 6 lugs off a tire.

deathrowdave

Smoke Torque = TIGHTEN TILL IT SMOKES !!!! Ky. Torque = Tighten till it breaks then back off 1/4 turn !!! I think the torque is around 400-450 ft. lbs. Mine are not that tight now , I carry no loads . If I carry a load in it I will re torque !!

Rustygears

If you use truck air, you'll have to bump/burst fire the air wrench because it will quickly deplete the little storage tank, especially on really tight lugs. I started using the 3/4" electric Robo impact that runs off the truck Nato power connector. The alternator can easily power the thing continuously with lots of power to spare. I'll be swapping 3 tires around this weekend!

jets1959

Guys, what is the correct torque for the lug nuts on the m35? The humvee is only 110 lbs.. so I am just curious what you are up against.
Thanks
Tighten them down until they break and then back them off half a turn. If you can. German torque from Hogans Heros stolen tiger tank episode.

paulfarber

The biggest issue is that none of your tires are going to have the same torque on every bolt.

So far I've changed/removed 8 tires and 6 of the 8 required an impact wrench. The first two tires I removed (was to clean out gear oil that blew through the hub seals) came off with little more than the budd wrench and standard handle. The next 6 all required the impact. The two fronts, two off an M105 and the other two on the same axle all needed the air gun.

So beware when you go out and have an east time with one or two tires. There are 8 others that could be on uber tight.

wikallen

I use either the BII supplied hand wrenches or my 3/4" drive electric Impact. Both have served me just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks