• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lugs OVERTIGHTENED

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never torqued my lugnuts with a torque wrench. I've just tightened enough of them to know when enough is enough. One thing to think about when you are hammering away on them with a 1" impact, are you getting them so tight that you're not going to be able to remove them (on the side of the road) by hand?

I've, more than once, had to call roadside assistance to change a tire on one of our civilain trucks even though I had all the hand tools to change it. The problem was they got them too tight back at the shop when they changed them and I couldn't break them loose with hand tools. Most of the time, the most expensive tire change you'll ever have is calling a service truck out to the side of the hwy. Alot of those people have you "over a barrel" and they know it.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never torqued my lugnuts with a torque wrench. I've just tightened enough of them to know when enough is enough. One thing to think about when you are hammering away on them with a 1" impact, are you getting them so tight that you're not going to be able to remove them (on the side of the road) by hand?

I've, more than once, had to call roadside assistance to change a tire on one of our civilain trucks even though I had all the hand tools to change it. The problem was they got them too tight back at the shop when they changed them and I couldn't break them loose with hand tools. Most of the time, the most expensive tire change you'll ever have is calling a service truck out to the side of the hwy. Alot of those people have you "over a barrel" and they know it.
They were hammered on by a 1" gun at the tire shop. I used a 1" gun to hammer them OFF and then reinstalled with my 1/2" gun using truck air. The same set up I will have when I get a flat alongside the road.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ol-Paint: NICE Thanks very much!:D

There is nothing like following the manual. Knowing our government and military, I am confident that the torque spec given earlier is based upon exhaustive research.

Last edited:

91W350

Never fought this problem on a deuce, but I have used a bottle jack blocks of wood and a 1" break over bar before. Use the jack to get the lugs loose before jacking the truck up, saves a step or two. Poor boys have poor ways. Glen

WPNS421

Next time you go to a tire shop ask them to torque the nuts to the same specs as a large commercial truck. We tighten all our nuts and then use a torque wrench to make sure everything is equal. I had a one ton that the garage overtightened the lugs and they cracked some bolts and I lost a set of tires and rims.

Gastrap

Next time you go to a tire shop ask them to torque the nuts to the same specs as a large commercial truck. We tighten all our nuts and then use a torque wrench to make sure everything is equal. I had a one ton that the garage overtightened the lugs and they cracked some bolts and I lost a set of tires and rims.
I torque everything. Unfortunately, the large truck thinking is probably where his shop failed. Most truck/ tire shops I've been in routinely stall out their 1" impact when installing big truck wheels & then they're done. Usually way too tight and not uniform.

I just finished brakes & bearings on my truck & found a RH nut forced on a LH bud, and this was a maintenance truck!