• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lunette compatability?

michigan4x4

Guys... I have an M101a2 and want to take off the surge brake actuator/lunette assm. and replace it with a M101a1 Lunette assembly. First off, is this possible? Are the two assemblies interchangeable without modification? I am thinking of swapping the axle for a lighter civy axle with electric brakes and obviously, will not be using the surge brake assembly.

I know you are probably asking "Why in the heck does he want to do that?".... The answer...because I am trying to shed some weight off the A2 Trailer for the sake of my tow vehicle, its incapable 5cyl engine, and transmission. Why didnt I buy an A1 to start with? There were many more A2 available and the trailer I have (a2) is pretty mint.

For the record...I am not interested in cutting and welding anything. I want the trailer to remain as it should if I ever decide to put it back to factory specs...I am keeping all my A2 parts (Axle, Hubs, Brakes, Surge Brake) for this reason. So.. I will not be selling anything.

Last... If I the assemblies are interchangeable, where could one find an A1 assembly?

Thanks
Jeff

Ripcord01

First of all let me welcome you to the site as I have not yet. Why not just remove the Surge break assembly from the trailer leaving the original Lunette as it was?

michigan4x4

First of all let me welcome you to the site as I have not yet. Why not just remove the Surge break assembly from the trailer leaving the original Lunette as it was?

1st.... Thanks Ripcord....

2nd... Is this possible?

Looking at the a2 it looks like the Lunette is part of the surge assembly? If I am wrong, I feel really dumb right now.. ha ha ha...

Thanks
Jeff

michigan4x4

I just looked at it again... The lunette ring is part of the surge assembly. I see no way that it can be used without the surge assembly. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I believe I have the A3 landing leg (Adjustable by cranking).

dittle

Not trying to sound like a smart butt here but if you're removing such a little amount of weight off the trailer empty and the truck can hardly handle it don't you think the truck is going to have issues with it loaded?

michigan4x4

Dlittle... I am pretty sure that the Surge assembly and HD Military axle assembly, brake parts etc are quite a bit of weight. If I swapped out the Mil axle for a 3500lb trailer axle I am pretty sure I would be getting rid of quite a bit of weight. Maybe I am wrong...

The trailer will be used to haul hunting gear most of the time. More than likely no more than 500lbs.

I am pulling it now with a 5cyl Chevy colorado Z71. The truck works fine with the trailer as it is, but if I could get rid of some weight, it would work better.

Jeff

Chief_919

I don't have an answer, but if your surge brake assy and master cyl is in good shape I would be interested in buying it.

KsM715

The surge assy. cant weigh more than 35-50 lbs. For the hassle of finding, buying and swapping the surge brake I wouldnt bother. If you want to swap the axle, fine, just disconnect the brake line and cap it.

Or find someone with an A1 in as good as condition as your a2 and trade them. Then swap the axles from there to something that has the same bolt pattern as your tow vehicle.

Edit: I know a member (citizensoldier) lives in Mich and did have some pretty nice A1's. I know because I picked them up and stored them for him last year. PM him and see if he still has one or two.

Last edited:

ODdave

FWIW, that stuff isnt that heavy. 2 guys can carry the axle with out a prob. There is a guy on Got Mud that has done what you want to (but used a 2in ball) on his trailer and it turned out very nice. Seen it when i bought his axle & surge. I can try to locate some pics and info if you are interested. Oh yea, he pulls it with a jeep wrangler.

ODdave

The surge assy. cant weigh more than 35-50 lbs. For the hassle of finding, buying and swapping the surge brake I wouldnt bother. If you want to swap the axle, fine, just disconnect the brake line and cap it.

Or find someone with an A1 in as good as condition as your a2 and trade them. Then swap the axles from there to something that has the same bolt pattern as your tow vehicle.

Edit: I know a member (citizensoldier) lives in Mich and did have some pretty nice A1's. I know because I picked them up and stored them for him last year. PM him and see if he still has one or two.
Did he finaly get the trailers form you?

OP, I have an a1 minus the box if you are interested in a trade.

Jersey4x4

The M101 and M101A2 pintal assemble is interchangable. I did the same thing on my A2 because I hated the clanking of the surge brake. I did keep the landing leg from the A2 because it is much better and I kept the mill axle because it weights the same as a HD trailer axle if you take off the brakes. I added electric brakes so I lightened the load allot. I trimmed about 175lbs of extra body fat removing the surge system, lines and mechanical brakes according to the scale at the junkyard.

Guys... I have an M101a2 and want to take off the surge brake actuator/lunette assm. and replace it with a M101a1 Lunette assembly. First off, is this possible? Are the two assemblies interchangeable without modification? I am thinking of swapping the axle for a lighter civy axle with electric brakes and obviously, will not be using the surge brake assembly.

I know you are probably asking "Why in the heck does he want to do that?".... The answer...because I am trying to shed some weight off the A2 Trailer for the sake of my tow vehicle, its incapable 5cyl engine, and transmission. Why didnt I buy an A1 to start with? There were many more A2 available and the trailer I have (a2) is pretty mint.

For the record...I am not interested in cutting and welding anything. I want the trailer to remain as it should if I ever decide to put it back to factory specs...I am keeping all my A2 parts (Axle, Hubs, Brakes, Surge Brake) for this reason. So.. I will not be selling anything.

Last... If I the assemblies are interchangeable, where could one find an A1 assembly?

Thanks
Jeff

koolex11

Here's the way I look at it: I agree that the surge brake, under normal circumstances, is a big waste of metal 99% of the time. But that brake is meant to stop your trailer when it is urgent. Meaning when you are loaded on the highway and you have to slam on the brakes. If your engine doesn't like pulling it, what will it be like when it comes time to stop? Find out what the tow rating is on your vehicle, then ask yourself if the 3000+ pound trailer GVR doesn't make the surge brake even more necessary. Might save a life one day.

panshark

could there be another issue with the surge brake or axle that's giving you problems? Something hanging or dragging to make you worry about what your trailer is doing to your truck's drivetrain? Whenever I've worried about too much trailer for the vehicle, the problem seems to manifest itself in the suspension/steering/handling/braking departments...

I'm not saying OP isn't fully capable and qualified, I'm just suggesting a quick PM check to rule out other important factors that may affect how the trailer pulls.

michigan4x4

OD Dave... Yeah.. I have read up on some other forums about swapping axles, adding 2" ball etc. I am not interested in the 2" ball as this trailer will see its fair share of off road use. As I am sure you already know, the lunette is superior for off road use. If you have pics of the guy's trailer (and can get them easily) post them here. I would appreciate it.

KSM715.... I know the surge Brake assembly doesn't weight more than 50lbs but if I am not using it, what is the sense of keeping it on the trailer and not swapping it out for something lighter?

Koolex11.... I would not tow the trailer without brakes...Period. If I do swap the axle for something a bit lighter I would definitely have electric brakes. I am pretty sure that any mid sized truck/jeep can tow the A2 trailer, stopping it is another issue.

Jersey4x4...... PM sent

My Colorado is rated to tow 4000lbs... I am a bit confused because it definitely seems to struggle a bit with the A2 trailer. I am now starting to think that one of my parking brakes or even the surge brake is hanging up. I have towed plenty of loaded utility trailers with my truck and the A2 seems especially heavy. Maybe I should pull the wheels and hubs and see if there are issues with the brakes themselves... I have the a printed copy of the TM, which I am sure addresses surge brake adjustment.

If I did decide to swap out the a2 surge for the a1 lunette assembly, does anyone know where i might start looking for the A1 assembly?

Thanks again for all the responses.
Jeff

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks