• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LVS MK48 anybody on here get one today?

KsM715

I'm sure there are, only problem is, why would you want one if you don't have the trailer...they're pretty much useless without one. Most of the trailers that were sold in the Socal area ended up as scrap metal.
From reading the posts here it looks like the few that are left aren't up for sale at a reasonable price and more than a few are rolling scrap. Just my opinion....let's see what happens.

For only 5 grand my kids would have the coolest bus stop shelter on the bus route.

bigmellon

I am one of the proud new owners! We will have an LVS dragged up to Michigan pretty soon... Most of my vehicle collection is Unimogs, but I think a little diversity is a good thing!!!

bigmellon

I love the Mogs!!! Honestly, never driven a Deuce, so it is hard to compare... But my guess would be that the smaller Mogs are a bit more maneuverable.

Here is an old 404 that just came off of a 3 year restoration... Kind of like a large pickup. Loud, slow, and lots of gears. :beer:

Attachments

Logistics

They look like great vehicles. Always wanted to drive a benz... Thanks for the picture! Enjoy the LVS. I am waiting for my EUC approval for my front end.

bigmellon

Congrats on the MK48, and welcome to SS
Thank you!

EUC approved, PAID invoice, and hopefully loading up the end of this week! Anyone have experience moving these things? Although listed as "operated recently" the batteries are either missing or dead. One trucker passed on pickup because he couldn't get the air brakes released...

Was given a contact for S&R towing - They want to bring out two large wreckers to pick it up and set it on a step deck. Estimate 2 trucks for 2-3 hours at $150/hr per truck. Crap! $900 to load... Does that sound reasonable?

With a 24V jump, won't the FPU drive itself onto most trailers with ramps?

icentropy

That makes good sense. The geometry certainly looks that way. Has anyone mounted a trailer (a non-Oshkosh trailer) behind a Mk48?

What's a Mk48 classified as? Is it a 2 axle truck with another 2 axle trailer or a 4 axle vehicle? I only ask cause it seems CA law says anything above 2 axles requires a special license. So Duece is out unless it's bobbed, but if this is a 2 axle truck with a 2 axle trailer......:D

jpinst

What's a Mk48 classified as? Is it a 2 axle truck with another 2 axle trailer or a 4 axle vehicle? I only ask cause it seems CA law says anything above 2 axles requires a special license. So Duece is out unless it's bobbed, but if this is a 2 axle truck with a 2 axle trailer......:D
NO, you are wrong on the CDL requirement. This subject has been rehashed so many times it's not funny. You only need a CDL if its used for commercial purposes. The other exception is if its house car (giant RV). Otherwise, they fall outside of the regulations. I am a lawyer, a Navy officer, and have done enough research on this to make my head spin. I am not offering anybody professional advice, but that is how I read the law and how i would argue the case if my client or myself were cited. Of course a cop can cite you for anything, its the court that makes the final determination….keep that in mind and be prepared if you drive one.

Augdog1964

Right

He's right...

I read the entire Commercial Vehicle Safety Act of 1986, and it is strictly covering the enforcement of commercial activity. If you are driving for private use, inside your own state (it appears that you could be challenged due to interstate commerce clause if crossing state lines), you don't need a CDL. You may need permits if heavy or overwidth, but not just to drive.

Now my lawyer looked into this for me and said that there are some states (a few, not many) whose codes are more stringent than the Act of '86, that do stipulate CDL for private vehicles, so you should check... but Indiana, Ohio, KY, and TN are good to go.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not a lawyer. This seems to come up a lot, and this is what I've found about it.

There are AT LEAST 3 separate issues regarding "bigger-than-deuce" trucks in a hobbyist use.

- USDOT compliance
- State DOT compliance
- CDL requirements

The first, USDOT compliance is the only one that isn't state specific. Which means thats likely the only one that most of us can talk to each other about with any chance of knowing what we're talking about. If you're using your vehicle for private pleasure, the USDOT could not care less.

The other 2, state DOT compliance and CDL requirements are all STATE SPECIFIC. There are a lot of states that have similar, if not the same, requirements, but they are a STATE SPECIFIC issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks