• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LVS / Mk48 Tow Bar - How is it used?

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might sound like a stupid question, but how is this LVS / Mk48 tow bar actually used?

After talking with a HEMTT owner, we came to the conclusion the ~ 50" overall length of this tow bar seems short since the attachment points on the LVS / HEMTT cab are recessed from the front of the cab. This tow bar is similar in design to the MTVR tow bar. However, the attachment points on the MTVR, FMTV and other vehicles are on the front of the bumper and not recessed.

MFR #: 1448250U
NSN: 2540-01-305-5628

I have an add in the classified with several photos:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?174119-LVS-Mk48-Tow-Bar

I have also attached a copy of the part numbers and parts diagram from the manual.

View attachment LVS Tow Bar Parts Diagram.pdf

Gunzy

I agree, 50" seems pretty short. I have a Heavy Duty tow bar that is carried on the front of my HEMTT just in case. I also have two sets of feet for it so my HEMTT can tow a 5 ton if needed or even the larger rigs like an M920 or such. Not sure how long my bar is, but it is a lot longer than 50".
tow_bar_mount_06_of_12.jpg

Gunzy

I was thinking about one of the Oshkosh tow bars but I think I will just stick with my Heavy as I have on truck storage for it.

FloridaAKM

Those tow bars are the ticket for heavy towing, but I used one that I have to tow my new Deuce home from auction with no problem. If only one person is installing it, it has to be installed in pieces due to the weight & bulk. There are still several crates of them NOS in one of my Humvee trailers out of the weather.

sandcobra164

MK48/15 combo's used the short towbar. They would also pick the front end up using the A Frame on the rear end of the wrecker coupled with a very capable winch. I've added one to my collection as PLS's with E CHU's might cause clearance problems when lift towed behind my M984A4 Wrecker. Never tried it, 1 look tells me it's likely too tall.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will bump this with a little info. The MTVR tow bars will not hook to the 1st generation 915 series truck. The 1.5inch feet are too narrow to fit on the brackets. They are the same width of the tow bar ends but more narrow than the other end.

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This LVS / Mk48 tow bar is similar, but different than the MTVR tow bar. Though it appears many of the components are the same. The LVS / Mk48 tow bar has a tie bar between the two legs and remains at a fixed angle. The LVS / Mk48 tow bar is shorter than the MTVR tow bar. As sandcobra164 notes above, this "short" tow bar was used with the Mk48 / Mk15 combination.

I have attached the photos I originally posted in the classified.

IMG_0806.jpgIMG_0807.jpgIMG_0808.jpgIMG_0809.jpgIMG_0810.jpgIMG_0811.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This LVS / Mk48 tow bar is similar, but different than the MTVR tow bar. Though it appears many of the components are the same. The LVS / Mk48 tow bar has a tie bar between the two legs and remains at a fixed angle. The LVS / Mk48 tow bar is shorter than the MTVR tow bar. As sandcobra164 notes above, this "short" tow bar was used with the Mk48 / Mk15 combination.

I have attached the photos I originally posted in the classified.

View attachment 760181View attachment 760182View attachment 760183View attachment 760184View attachment 760185View attachment 760186
I believe the mtvr and LVS bar use the same attachment feet though from the looks of it .

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes! I believe the MTVR and LVS / Mk48 tow bars use the same basic components for construction and accessories. Good catch Simp, sorry I didn't include in my earlier post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks