• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LVTP-5 info

M1Kodiak

Does anybody know anything about the LVTP-5 that isn't on wikipedia already? Specifically, does anybody know about LVTP-5 operations in Alaska, or anything related to this?

M1Kodiak

I guess not... anywho, there is the hull of one wrecked on a beach on Kodiak Island. I was just curious as to how it got there, I haven't tried the museum yet but that's where I'm headed next.

L1A1

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything more about the "P5" that you couldn't find out on wikipedia. That being said, the LVTP5 was a very big machine and despite it's "brick like" appearance the 5s were rather good swimmers.

As for what one might be doing up there in Alaska, During the 50s & 60s there was a lot of training taking place in "frozen North." I guess in preperation for what was thought to be a coming war with the USSR. I have photos of M59APCs in use by US Army troops up in Alaska.

Matt

historyfanatics

LVTP possible sources of info

You might try the Marin Corps Museum down in san Diego. I understand they may have a P5 and a P7. They may be able to at least tell you why it's there.

Also, the National Marine Corps Museum at Quantico has some info.

Also, try contacting the National U.S. Armed Forces Museum. They have some knowledge on the subject, as they have been looking for one.

As for why it's there - the Marines train in all climates to do their job - assaulting an unfriendly place. Alaska is just one of the places that they train.

Also, are you sure it's an USMC P5? Sometimes states and other entities get equipment to use for forest fires, etc. It might actually belong to one of them.

Sorry for taking so long to respond - I just saw your post today.

Gunner0311

Lvtp-5

Are you sure the vehicle you saw wqas a LVTP-5?? It should not be that babdly damaged so as not to be able to determine which vehicle model it is unless it was
derilick there a very long time.

It could easily be an LVTP-1 from WWII, left there during the campaign to push
the IJN forces off the Alaska island chain in 1942. We push the enemy off the
islands, but the campaign was something of a disaster; with the troops not being
ready for the weather and the equipment breaking down.

I know more than a few of the "AMTRAKs" broke down and were abandoned due to
the extreme weather conditions and inability to retrieve them beyond the reefs
that made landing heavy equipment on some of the islands extremely hazardous.

The Alaska campaign taught us valuable lessons in amphibious operations as we
began to build our forces to push across the Pacific island by island.....:)

M1Kodiak

I have better pictures somewhere that really identifies it as a p-5. The back half of it that covers the engine is partly up on the rocks, and further down the beach. I'm sure that 30 or 40 years worth of winter storms made it look pretty beat up like it is. I remember the last time I visited it though that there was still some painted letters and numbers on the front right corner. I'm headed home in a week so I will visit the beach again and get some recent photos.

L1A1

Looking at the shape of what's left of the hull I'd say without a doubt that is what remains of a "P5" Looks like scrappers have been at work on it. Thanks for posting a link to that image.
Matt

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the one out by Chiniak on the beach? If so Curt Law or Joe Stevens at the museum at Ft. Abercrombie can tell you all about it.

battlecr

There is an LVT at a park in Yakatat Alaska down on the panhadle. Also a coast atillary piece. I'll try to dig the pictures out when I get home tonight. Yakatat is land locked.

Don G

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, just saw your post. Would you happen to know what kind of numbers still exist,such as nomenclature, part number,stock number, etc. what I really need a picture of a LVTP-5A's data plate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks