• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1007 markings

croatoan

need some suggestions
A friend of mine just painted his suburban O.D. and wants to make it look like a M1007 he's thinking of a white star on the doors and hood. Did any of the M1007's ever have them and how big? Also want to know the placement of other designations found around them? Thanks

41cl8m5

all cucv's came out with carc green only. the od green being fased out in the early 80s.
the cucv units came online around mid 1984.
i think the od green had a star on the door and the reg. number was on the hood.

Wolf.Dose

I live here in Germany I have seen hundreds of CUCV series truck running in US Army use.
They usually have no stars on the hood. They never had any registration painted on the hood for they had Army licence pates. The Reg.-No. you can find on the original VIN label on the driver side B-pillar. This number was issued at the factory and never was changed, even with a new door after damage and without a complely reassembled new VIN-plate.
If there were some stars, there are some black ones painted on the bumpers beside the licence plate. On the door you could find sometimes: For official use only.
Thats all about it.
Wolf

Wolf.Dose

Sorry,
I have to add some more!
CUCV was delivered according to the VIN plates from 1985 MY code E until 1987 MY code G. And thats what the manual says, too.
Suburbans were no standard Army equipment, even they had several of those. The Air Force was much better equiped with these vehicles. These vehicles were painted in what we called it Airforce blue, a very dark blue colour.
Anyway, it is a nice idea to make a Suburban a MV. However, according to its year of manufacure, it could be to our European understanding only be painted in dark Air Force blue.
Thats it!
Wolf

Mudstone

uhm for the record active military vehicles do not require nor have i ever seen a "license plate" on any of them in germany. As for a CUCV in any military unit... there is a TM for bumper numbers and that would be exactly what the trucks should have. The VIN number is located in the same place on all that i have seen. The Driver side on the dashboard visible through the wind shield glass. The trucks should all have been sprayed with CARC. Some are red for fire units. If you're building a "clone" MV i would spray it CARC. Also do the Tan Blocks on the bumpers for unit ID and Truck number.

Wolf.Dose

I do not know when you have been in Germany, mudstone. However, these trucks had a licence plate that said ARMY or AIR FORCE and below that a 6 diget number like CD3865. This number was issued at the assembly line and stamped into the VIN plate.
I know this for I put several dozend of these vehicles after the minimum coversion the German legal requirements into public trafic. Most the times the reg numbers were painted on the bumper instead of a licence plate, but that makes practically no difference. The Air force vehicles always had licence plate by that time, as far as they were originally civilian vehicles.
This is about the Mannheim/Heidelberg/Kaiserlautern area.
Wolf

41cl8m5

sorry about not explaining better. Trucks painted od green did have the stars on the
door and also had the reg # on the hood (both white in color). that was changed before the chevy cucv's came
out. sence the vehical is already painted od green (not carc woodland green) I was just
trying to help with keeping the style correct on the od.
your right about the little black stars one the bumpers.

fokkerc1

My 96 Suburban was an Air Force Security Forces vehicle. You can see the outline of the words on the rear fender. The prevoius owner got ir from GL. It is a medium blue, not AF blue like my ex- ANG Dodge D50.

Mudstone

I was stationed in the WAAF area till 2007... never once saw a military vehicle with a license plate.... I've been to all the places you mentioned. Again there is a TM for Markings on MV's. There is no such thing as a licence plate for an MV. Just confirmed with a buddy CURRENTLY at WAAF. The VIN plate is a standard GM vin plate that can be decoded with GM VIN Decoder. The numbers and letters stenciled onto the bumpers are, on the driver side rear: Unit ID AKA 1A1CAV for 1st Armored Division 1st Cav. The Passenger side Rear: A-123 the company and truck number often starting with the first digit being the platoon. Front is Reversed. TB 43-0209, TM 43-0139, AND AR 750-1 An American MV is not required a license plate. You must be refering to a civilian vehicle. As for the "minimum coversion the German legal requirements into public trafic" The required modification for a M1009 coming to us from the US after our truck was deemed irreparable, the vehicle then required a german official? to inspect it. All we had to do was put placards on the back. That is it. Perhaps the Chair Force is different. But any military truck i or my buddy have EVER seen including air force did not have a license plate.

PS. There is no such thing as an M1007 Military Vehicle. The M1008 Pick-up is the start. M1009 Blazer Then i think the M1028 and M1031:beer:

Last edited:

REGULATOR

I know when I was in Germany in the mid 90s, and most units had transitioned from CUCVs to Hummvees, they gathered up a bunch of the nicer cucvs, refurbished them, and them used them as TMP vehicles, those had licensce plates, but they were the military issued TMP #### type plates

Mudstone

TMP Plates are standard NATO Plates for germany... will get a pic in a few. Never seen a plate like the White Above. Neither has anyone i have spoken to in germany. Spoke to a national friend as well she has never seen anything other than the Convoy signs and bumper numbers.

Shop Rat Fab

Let me clarify the pic of the white plate that came on my truck is from Michigan and still in Michigan I posted it in response to two statements "never once saw a military vehicle with a license plate" and "There is no such thing as a licence plate for an MV". I have other pics of similar plates on both the front and rear of 1009s but as usual I can't find them. Just trying to figure out what the white plate would be for. Not tring to step on toes here. If it helps my truck is a former MI NG truck.

stevo

Was in Germany 74-76. SEVERAL vehicles had license plates stating US ARMY or likewise , then numbers. Even the school buses had them.
I currently have down at he barn in my ole license plate collection two military plates. One USAF RES for Richards-Gebaur AFB and one just US ARMY, then some numbers.
I think we may be confusing here a bit between TACTICAL usage vehicles and more mundane every day type vehicles, ( sedans, delivery trucks etc. )
Steve :neutral:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks