• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1008 Plowing (Vid)

Skinny

Looking good!

That is a mighty big plow for a 1 ton...looks like the ol' M1008 works it like a champ. I think a new Chev would spit it's plastic ball joints out while dragging it's frame trying to do that.

TGP (IL)

Nice truck and plow.
Something to think about,
Plowing that fast is going to cost you someday.
The biggest mistake people make is running around plowing at speed then hit a hidden object (curb,bump,manhole etc)and tear up there frame,plow or worse.
It's just not worth it. Also be sure you stop before changing direction. Your driveline will thank you!
Take your time and you will plow another day.
Tom

MarcusOReallyus

Nice!

What plow is that? Where'd you get the mount? I'm looking for one for mine, but it has to be used. No way I can spring for a new rig.

evldoer

Very nice plow rig, the scoop action on that plow looks like it works very nicely. I have just a straight blade on my m1008, bet you could plow circles around me!

rickf

If you are going to make a video of yourself plowing or doing anything really be sure you know how to do it correctly first. I have run plows for over 40 years and run everything from mower plows up to Oshkosh and FWD plows and blowers. You have a lot to learn and plowing and the way you are plowing there they are going to be expensive lessons.

Mercunimog404

Banned
If you are going to make a video of yourself plowing or doing anything really be sure you know how to do it correctly first. I have run plows for over 40 years and run everything from mower plows up to Oshkosh and FWD plows and blowers. You have a lot to learn and plowing and the way you are plowing there they are going to be expensive lessons.
Like what?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dad plowed for 17 years. I rode with many many times and his favorite was coming into town (he was township) and leaving the blade down and hitting man hole covers and fling them up into yards.

He taught me how to plow and although I'm not as experienced as almost anyone I'd say you are going a little fast.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems to be his property so he may know where hidden objects are.
All it takes is the frost to shift something around for a new object to appear.
This is from a Meyers Slowplow manual ;
20 m.p.h. is recommended as a maximum snow plowing
speed under ideal conditions, assuming the driver is familiar
with the roadway or area to be cleared.

They also recommend not excede 45 mph while transporting the plow.

Mercunimog404

Banned
All it takes is the frost to shift something around for a new object to appear.
This is from a Meyers Slowplow manual ;
20 m.p.h. is recommended as a maximum snow plowing
speed under ideal conditions, assuming the driver is familiar
with the roadway or area to be cleared.

They also recommend not excede 45 mph while transporting the plow.
It really didn't look like he was going much over 20 mph

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stop debating about his speed, your hijacking the thread.

mijon

Just so everyone knows I posted this vid, just for the simple fact of showing what a M-1008 can do with a plow on her. For the enjoyment factor. Not for everyone to say I don't know how to plow, going to fast, etc. Believe me I know how to plow, especially in my own neighborhood in which I plow on average 15 times a year. My dad and I own our own Landscaping and Snow Removal Business in which, we have over 75 accounts. Ive been plowing since the age of 15, and have rode along with my dad all my life. If it wasn't my neighborhood and if I was in a commercial lot, I wouldn't be going that fast. But when I dont have to worry about nailing a curb or a car coming in from behind me or in front, you can let her open a little bit. Like I said earlier this video was intended to show what a little green steel can do with a plow on the front.

To answer the other questions:

The plow is a Western MVP PLus 8.5ft Vee Plow. I Highly Recommend this plow. The Vee action is 10 times more versatile then a straight blade. Ex: in the video when I came down the road, I had the blade set on a float mode on the Vee where it isn't scooping but Vee'd out. This evenly disperses the snow on both sides. Making it a a lot easier push on the truck and a lot better plow on the road (so you don't have all the snow funneled to one side of the road). Best part about the Vee is being able to scoop up your dribbles, move piles etc, so if you looking for a blade get a Vee. There about $1000-$1500 (depending on make and year) more but well worth it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks