• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1009 Ice racing

wkbrdngsnw

Took the 1009 to the ice races at Georgetown lake Colorado, and as expected got beat...but it was by a H2 (that was driven by someone who had done this before).

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/wkbrdngsnw/Ice%20Racing/th_MVI_1284.jpg
I apologize for the bad video and commentary but I'm to lazy to edit it.

It just wouldn't turn in and was losing 10 seconds a turn sailing off the track trying to get pointed in the right direction. The turbo was great for accelerating off since it took a second to come in then took off. The track wasn't long enough to make a difference though since by the time it got going it was time to turn again.

Overall it was fun, but to be truly competitive an AWD small SUV would be a better choice. I'm thinking about a little toe-out to help but there isn't really too much you can do to a solid axle handle any better.

Last edited:

wkbrdngsnw

Are studded tires used? Doesn't seem so.
They do have a "cheater" class that's mostly jeeps with small blocks and 4" studs. I did what they called street stock which is bare rubber and had about 50 entries. I would have studded some old tires but I had and raced the next level up but I had a hard enough time keeping up with the Subarus.