• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 1009 power steering pulley

kcbbqguru

Just got my truck inspected for my tag renewal, on my way home, power steering pulley fell off?
went back and tried to look for it and could not find it

I have read where people of had to get gear pulleys to get it off, but mine just fell off
lost gen 1 and powere steering and brakes

where do I get a new pulley?
should I replace power steering unit

thanks

Last edited:

AECS

If it was loose enough that is just fell off, I would suspect that the shaft is buggered up a bit. I would replace it, 60 bucks at autozone is cheap insurance....

Chaski

I would be really surprised if the pulley came off the shaft on it's own. Normally they come off the pump with part of the shaft, or the entire shaft. There is a small circlip that retains the shaft in the pump, if it fails out comes the shaft with the pulley. Other thing that is common is that the shaft will break and the pulley with the broken shaft will come right out of the pump.

I do not know what the part number is, but if you post a WTB ad in the classified section you will probably get a response. If the pulley really did come off the shaft on it's own I would replace the pump. Be sure to check out your new pump, it is always a good idea to pull the regulator piston out and check that it has no washers, and make sure the hole is 5/32". The orifice size controls the flow rate of the pump, the piston length controlls the pressure. The end is threaded and has a nut with a screen on it. There should be no washers under the nut. The shorter the assembly is the higher the output pressure of your pump. All GM applications with power steering and hydro boost brakes got the "hot rod" pump. 5/32" was the largest orifice offered.

Last edited:

joshuak

Anyone have a part number for the pulley?
From the "-20 P" TM, part number is 14067701. GM discontinued this part. Replacement sources: contact SS vendors, people parting out CUCV's, wtb post as said before, etc.

Mine decided take a walk in a parking lot recently (after changing PS pumps). The first I one I could source was sold as a take off pulley taken from a '09. I received part number gm 14084343, which has a smaller diameter outer pulley than the original by 3/4", making it the same size as the inner pulley. I was however able to use the same Gen 1 belt.

It got my rig home and I have not noticed any ill side effects with about 150 miles on it so far, also it is available at my local parts store.

Members in the know: Is this a negative long term solution?

Thanks

kcbbqguru

What does that mean. Did you build that , repair it ? Or just remove it?
I took the old pump off and have ordered a new one. The old one is leaking and when I got it off, I the hole in the center of the pump shaft was all rusted out. there was no way I would be able to screw the installer tool into the shaft. I just thought it was cool, that I found a genuine GM bracket

cucvrus

WOW I must have missed the part where you were looking for a replacement bracket. And all this time I felt bad that the pulley fell off and you could not find it. If the bracket broke off what were you going back to look for along the road? Did I miss something here? It's possible. Glad you got it fixed and i never seen a pump shaft rusted out. That must be a rusty machine. Good Luck. Happy New Year.

kcbbqguru

I got the pulley on flush, filled up pump, got the belt tight. when I started up the truck, I had no power steering and no brakes? any ideas

Chaski

Bleed it.

Jack up the front so your tires are off the ground and with the engine off turn it lock to lock a dozen or so times. Fire it up and do the same. Check the fluid level. Should be A-OK after that.

kcbbqguru

Bleed it.

Jack up the front so your tires are off the ground and with the engine off turn it lock to lock a dozen or so times. Fire it up and do the same. Check the fluid level. Should be A-OK after that.
Well that didn't work to well, power steering fluid leaked out of the cap and all over garage floor

nathan475

Well that didn't work to well, power steering fluid leaked out of the cap and all over garage floor
I'm dealing with the same problem. I replaced the pump, repainted the housing and the bracket, and installed the same double slot pulley from a Chevy Van that you did along with a shorter belt. I have breaks but only intermittent power steering, and a lot of squealing. My mechanic buddy told me over the phone that I have air in my lines. But after an hour plus of turning the wheel while the truck is jacked up, running on and off, I still have what could be air in the lines. Please let me know how your ordeal turns out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks