• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 1009 power steering pulley

kcbbqguru

I'm dealing with the same problem. I replaced the pump, repainted the housing and the bracket, and installed the same double slot pulley from a Chevy Van that you did along with a shorter belt. I have breaks but only intermittent power steering, and a lot of squealing. My mechanic buddy told me over the phone that I have air in my lines. But after an hour plus of turning the wheel while the truck is jacked up, running on and off, I still have what could be air in the lines. Please let me know how your ordeal turns out.
Ok, now fill it up, and let it sit overnight, this will let the foam settle down. then in the morning get a friend to sit in the truck start it up and have them turn the steering wheel back and forth, while you make sure the pump is full. that solved my problems

nathan475

Ok, now fill it up, and let it sit overnight, this will let the foam settle down. then in the morning get a friend to sit in the truck start it up and have them turn the steering wheel back and forth, while you make sure the pump is full. that solved my problems
Thank you for the reply. Once I recover I'll get back on it tomorrow. If I still have a problem I was thinking about loosening up the line that goes into the steering gear box to see if I can bleed air out of a loose but still threaded connection. I'll check the manuals tomorrow before I get started just in case.

NovacaineFix

Thank you for the reply. Once I recover I'll get back on it tomorrow. If I still have a problem I was thinking about loosening up the line that goes into the steering gear box to see if I can bleed air out of a loose but still threaded connection. I'll check the manuals tomorrow before I get started just in case.
Whatever you do, DO NOT loosen that line or have it loose when the engine is running. If you are doing so to try to gravity bleed, that is fine, but that is the high pressure side, so don't expect much to come out.
If that line is loose, you'll have PS fluid all over the engine along with the garage floor.

Best way is to jack front end up off of the ground and turn the steering wheel back from stop then back to stop, but don't hold wheel at full stop. Letting the foam settle overnight is not a bad idea.

Good Luck

nathan475

Whatever you do, DO NOT loosen that line or have it loose when the engine is running. If you are doing so to try to gravity bleed, that is fine, but that is the high pressure side, so don't expect much to come out.
If that line is loose, you'll have PS fluid all over the engine along with the garage floor.

Best way is to jack front end up off of the ground and turn the steering wheel back from stop then back to stop, but don't hold wheel at full stop. Letting the foam settle overnight is not a bad idea.

Good Luck
Thank you for the warning. I was only going to loosen it slightly. If I do it that way I'll make sure that the engine is off. I'll study the matter more intensely tomorrow before I create a new problem to deal with. Hopefully letting it sit overnight will do the trick.
Thanks

cucvrus

With everything tight. Put a long transmission funnel in the pump and start up the engine. Shine a light down and look at the fluid level. Fill it while running that the cast iron is not visible in the pump. Turn the wheels bank to bank and pump the brakes hard until all the air gets out. If the belt is squealing you have other issues. Is the belt tight? Get the belt tight on the pump with the gen 1 belt loose also. Then tighten gen 1 belt. But make sure the gen 1 belt is in the outer PS pulley groove so you can get it tight as possible also. Good Luck. I hope that helps.

nathan475

WE can't tell by the picture. Pay attention to how the belt sits in the grooves of the pulley. If the power steering belt isn't sitting evenly in the groove you might have to adjust it with the pulley removal tool. I'm still having problems with mine. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks