• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1009 with a fuel leak, air in fuel and some surging

Lagers4myhead

I have an M-1009 that, as the title implies, has been having some issues. Last Saturday, I was up in Anchorage when I started having a grinding noise when I would fire up my Blazer. A very good friend and technical consultant told me to investigate the starter and sure enough I had a broken bolt. I got some new bolts and that problem went away and I believe is unrelated. The following day I started up the truck and after running for a few seconds it stalled and died. After some cranking it fired up and ran until later that evening when I came out of a restaurant and it ran for a few seconds and then died and would not restart. I primed the fuel system at the fuel filter and after a lot of bubbles and foam I got fuel but it wouldn't restart. The next day I had it towed to a shop (on Sunday) who were nice enough to open up just for me and they charged the batteries and primed the fuel system all the way up to the injector pump and got it running. I filled up the fuel tank and immediately headed for Valdez (6 hours), along the way I noticed some surging while I was driving. I made it back and after I parked it I noticed some fuel dripping down on the ground (it was on the center line of the truck, just aft of the harmonic balancer and pulleys). I finally got some time to work on it yesterday. There is a garage here I can use but I had to get the truck there so I tried turning it over and it fired right up and then died. I primed the fuel system at the filter and it fired up and ran. While driving it over to the garage I noticed some more surging. I parked it and started by trying to find the leak. I didn't have any luck finding the exact leak but it looked as though there might be some fuel leaking from the fuel filter assembly. I checked the lines from the tank forward and really focused on the lines going into the lift pump and forward and didn't see any cracked lines or other signs of leaks. I have been reading the forums about these issues and I am going to take the top off the injection pump and check for small bits that might indicated if the injection pump has gone bad and I am going to look into replacing the stock fuel filter with a spin on. Anyone else have any thoughts? Could the lift pump be the cause of the fuel drip under the center line of the truck? I know I have heard about them leaking internally but could they leak externally?

ryan77

Well i just replaced my lift pump yesterday because it was leaking from the seam! It does happen on these trucks! Also the fuel filter bases are notorious for leaking! On these trucks you need to replace every rubber line automatically!!2cents

Hasdrubal

I also had a lift pump leaking at the seam. If you have fuel at the front end, get underneath with a trouble light and trace it. The fuel usually drops onto the crossmember then drips onto the diff. From above you should be able to see if the crossmember corner underneath the lift pump is wet. From below it might not be apparent if its the seam so run your finger along it and the two rubber lines. As for your filter base, replace it or the fuel sensor o-ring, or tap and plug the orifice. I found a new filter base withought the fuel sensor online.

wrex

Well i just replaced my lift pump yesterday because it was leaking from the seam! It does happen on these trucks! Also the fuel filter bases are notorious for leaking! On these trucks you need to replace every rubber line automatically!!2cents

Ok, silly question:
Where is the lift pump, exactly? Anyone have a pic of it?
Also, where can I get the fuel filter base (gasket, whatever)? I can't seem to find one (or at least the correct one), online.

ryan77

Ok, silly question:
Where is the lift pump, exactly? Anyone have a pic of it?
Also, where can I get the fuel filter base (gasket, whatever)? I can't seem to find one (or at least the correct one), online.
And todays magic word is GOOGLE!!

dependable

Fuel filter base covered recently here Intermittent air leak.

You could have leaking lift pump, besides leaking fuel out weep hole, they often dump diesel into crank case, smell for diesel in motor oil.

Have also had air leaks develop in line due to rust and chafing. Lightly pressurize fuel tank w air gun & rag, look for diesel leak on line.

Last edited:

donalloy1

Had a Hose Clamp at inlet side of Fuel Filter Base open up a little while ago. Was a pain to track down! Spend some time feeling around with Flashlight and you will find the demon which is driving you nuts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks