• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1010 update...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. Are you putting 35's on it? Those are pretty stout looking front springs. Who is the lift manufacturer?

lift...

superlift springs,rancho shocks.Mods were required to the brake lines and rear shock mounts.Ride is quite good,especially in the back,but i need longer front swing shackles.I have a frame/shackle clearance issue with the positive arch springs.A little extra weight up front (winch) will help considerably.
Mangus...like,yes.sort of...kinda.It's the logical thing and i tried it but it didn't work.(my fault).so i did it the lazy and least frustrating way i knew would work.i'll get it.eventually.
tires by the way will likely be 37's....if i can convince my self it's o/k and sane to trim a perfectly good and rust free fender.
35's and a built 700-r4 are looking better. :roll:

CCATLETT1984

where did you get the drop drag link. I want one for my lift application (m1008) also you forgot to mention how many inches of lift you went with, although guessing by the tire size you want to run I'd venture about 6".

draglink...

The draglink is a superlift component.I also had to install a steering arm lift block.I'll post pictures of the lift block when i get a chance.
The total lift in the kit is 5 1/2 inches in front and 5 in the rear...however,my original springs were worse than i thought.I ended up with about 6 1/2" front and rear.
It's an odd size for a lift...superlift dosn't make an even numbered size for this vintage of truck.I only really wanted a 4" overall lift,a 2-3" inch lift was to short for my tastes.
I'm also going to try a local source for michilin XL's.They'll be used,but if i can find some with 90% tread,an 11.00-16 (narrow/tall)may be an option.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Warning on the steering Block. While getting my M1008 aligned, the tech checked the block and two of the four studs were sheered (very close call). After several hundred dollars maching the two studs out, I check them every week to make sure they are at 100 pounds. I have bought a second stud kit and think I will swap studs every 6 months because of my heavy tires (36 swampes SX).

more pics...

as requested,pics of lift block and rear springs.no they are not double wrapped...but,IIRC,the stock springs were double wrapped only on the front,just like a stock K-30.
The spring rate appears to be a little firmer than stock...note that the new springs have fewer but thicker leaves.ride,however,is still quite good.I'm carrying considerable weight though...on a pickup bodied truck the ride will likely be stiff...just like a stock 1-ton.
Sorry it took a couple of days to get back to you all...were getting stupid amounts of rain here,and i still have to work.including this weekend... :D
The smily is for the overtime.

Attachments

new shackles...

I made and finally got a chance to install new swing shackles for the front springs.anyone who intends to use positive arch springs will likely need these...i made mine out of 2" HSS steel tube ; with about a 3/16" wall...same thickness as stock.Just trimmed the tube lengthwise to leave 1/2 " legs on each shackle.
I think i made them a little long...1/2" long would be ideal,i think,but made them an inch longer than stock.
in the photo's you can just see where the springs were starting to beat on the frame with the old shackles.that problem is now cured. total cost for new steel was 15$.easy to make too,as i had access to the fab shop i was subcontracting in over the weekend...30,000 square feet of every tool you can think of... :drool:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks