• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1026 heater issue... is everyone else freezing to death?

Kane

We used our M-1026 last night for the first time running a rolling road block so the State could clear 10 miles of 12' snow drifts. The air temp last night was -12 with a windchill of -35. The truck ran perfect all night, but the temperature of the cabin heater was probably 40 degrees. It was bearable when sitting still, but when driving, it was easily dropping to 20 degrees or colder inside. During the entire 6 hours I was in it, I never stopped seeing my breath.

Is this what I should expect? I plan to take a closer look at the heater core and heater valve next time I'm at our station.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kane

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, also check your vent tubing....unfortunately,the one that feeds your side of the truck in the drivers area is under the dash and runs from the pass side...

Kane

Oh, also check your vent tubing....unfortunately,the one that feeds your side of the truck in the drivers area is under the dash and runs from the pass side...
We got the truck in late summer, and until last night has been under construction. This was its first time out. Do the heaters usually perform better then that? I'll check the tubing and the heat valve is the thing I want to look at first.

vitamink

I drove my 1025 in sub zero temperatures and I couldn't be colder. The vents themselves felt Luke warm. The air leaving the vents was Luke warm for about an inch but was ice cold by the time it hit my face.

gcbennet

I was having the same problem. What i did was pull the heater core and rigged a hose onto the inlet and outlet tubes and blasted hi pressure hot water through it, alternating from both ends into my wash tub. I also filled it with CLR and even some dishwasher powder a few times for good measure. After letting it sit for a bit with the chemicals i continued to blast hot water through it, and did some shaking and banging until the water coming out was clear and the same pressure as going in. All sorts of brown crud came out- little bits at first then big chunks. When i was satisfied it was as clear inside as i was going to get it i slapped it back in the truck and it now blows hot air again like it should.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huh?!? Stop messing around with the standard heater kits. With my (gas) fuel burning heater in my M151A2 with a soft top, I can run around at any temperature and I am toasty, almost uncomfortably so. In my M925A2, I either have to shut the heat down every little while (no matter the temperature) or crack the windows just so I am not burning up. I was driving one time and I realized my foot felt like it was on fire. Well, the tip of my shoe was right under the duct and was "cooking" my toe. M1075 has at least one for sale. It is for a 5 ton (with some simple mods) or a deuce, but it could be modified for a HMMWV. Heating a HMMWV would be cake; getting it to defrost the windows would be tougher because you'd have to fabricate quite a bit to get it to work. I have like 5 kits and I am keeping every one of them. They are invaluable to me.

I have a m1028 /m1010 wiring ok had the same problam it was my thermostat check it start it turn the heater on let sit for 20-30 mins heat on high go out and see if it hot in side of cab if so go get a thermostat hope this helped

HMMWV's are know to have good heaters so if you have either a restriction or a bad core. I have been stationed in Germany and Korea and the heaters work good enough. It also depends if its a hardtop or soft top.

Southerneze

How do you unclog a core? ...and explain it to me as you would to a 4 year old :)
Gcbennet did it the right way, I was lazy, took the inlet and outlet loose, clamped a water hose to the inlet and let it run till it was clear. It started out as a trickle , the sludge chunks that came out were almost as big as the core tube. Also I am running a four man soft top, I left the two man rear flap in which I lower in the winter if no one is in the back. Much easier to stay warm with the smaller area to heat.
Gary

MASIC

Save yourself a ton of trouble and install a coolant filter between the engine and heater core. I have never had a problem but I do need to rinse the pre cleaner mesh filter 3 to 4 times a year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks