• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 1031 generator conversion to stand alone?

tourus

I was not real sure what the title should have been for this project. This is a little long so here it goes. what I have is a 1031 service body off an 1986 M1031 fully loaded, well generator and air compressor. I also have all of the PTO and engine governor hook ups. every thing. I have 1985 M1028 with the M887 service body on it with the older one with the Wisconsin engine and welder. What I want to do is un hook the 4K welder gen off the Wisconsin engine and run the bigger 12K generator off the Wisconsin engine, as a stand alone unit for house or whatever. So I guess the question is has any one tried to run the 12K generator with anything other than the M1031 set up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skinny

Don't know but unless you have a ton of time, fab skills, etc. you probably would be better off finding what you need and keeping the M1031 the way it is. They tend to lose valuable or become less desirable once they have been pulled apart. I wanted to hack up my M1031 when I first got it, glad I kept all the equipment in the back.

Keith_J

The 1031 SECM generator is a Marathon Lima MAC that is a 4 pole rotor so it turns at 1800 RPM to generate 60 Hz of power.

this is a two bearing unit as it is driven by a cog .

MatthewH

The Hobart/Wisconsin setup runs and is governed at 1800rpm, the engine is Wisconsin Model VG4D, 37hp. There website says its power output at 1800 rpms, is 32hp, and 23.9 KW. Looks like they can run out to 2400rpm if desired

acmunro

I will be following this thread. I have been kicking around the idea of building a genset this way but using a Detroit Diesel 2-53 I have. I like the idea of having a quiet generator LOL.

tourus

well the input is great. so from what I understand is that if I run the generator head at about 1800 it should make power. Is there any "safety" about the gen head that would keep it from making power if turn at 1800 or so. IE special battery, neutral safety or something like that. I do have a good friend that is going to help with the electric part as far as power box etc. he is a licensed electrician who is real good with generators.

dependable

If you have the governor off the 1031 engine and all the wiring for it, it probably could be set up to govern any motor. There is a ramp up and overspeed circuit included in original PTO driven 1031 control box. A mechanical governor might be easier to set up, may already be on the Wisconson. Maybe keep a Killowatt 4400 or a Hardy diesel hertz/volt meter on it in addition to reed type hertz meter on 1031 output box.

Keith_J

There is no electronic voltage regulator on this generator, nor is it easy to add one. It uses magnetic amplification control, not electronics. So it is a reliable generator but not a tightly regulated output especially at low loads.

dependable

I knew the Lima-Mac was internally regulated, but have not looked into the specifics much. The RPMs just need to be right from my understanding. Does it work like an Onan Magniciter? The Onan guys on the Stak love these due to lack of electronics, if I recall.

By not tightly regulated at low output, do you mean the voltage will vary some with load?

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

The voltage at low output load can vary. Once a good load is placed on it, this is no longer an issue. Field flashing is covered in that manual, they left out the safe way using a universal motor like a hand drill. Just plug it in, turn it on and then twist the chuck.

Skinny

I've never had to do field flashing (try to run mine up often to avoid this) but do you have to turn the drill a certain direction or is it just about generating current to get the excitor field going?

Keith_J

Any direction as it produces alternating current regardless of direction. It is pretty hard to degauss these generators where flashing would be needed. My 1031 had 2.7 hours on it when liberated from Uncle Sugar in 2012, it didn't need flashing.

Skinny

Good info, thanks!

Mine had 6 on it and worked right out of the box after sitting for 3 years. Now the governor system...whole other story :)

Keith_J

Many of the 1031 governors were wired incorrectly, for example the wire to the injection pump should be to stop the engine if over speed condition occurs, mine was wired to the fast idle/advance circuit. I disconnected it because it really needs a relay as the safety switches cannot handle the current. Also the glass tube fuses cannot take the current, that I replaced with ATC blade type. The governor works fine if suitably modified with relays so all current isn't supplied through transfer case and transmission switches.

I need to draw up diagrams for conversion since we have a few members here with these problems.

cucvrus

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I was told by the local generator company that the M1031 has a very dirty sine wave and could cause damage to different types of shop equipment. And the 208 volt was not sufficient to run modern welding equipment. I am only asking. He showed me a meter it was all Russian to me and said that it can have fluctuations and power spikes at different rpm's. And that the engine would have to run at full throttle and still not make a clean sine wave. I am only asking. I had several of these and each time the people would want them tested and each time they said they could not be hooked to a house or shop because of a dirty sine wave and insufficient power and spikes. I don't know. But I wanted to ask. One guy added a Yamaha diesel generator to the back and sold the PTO driven one. He paid about 10 K for the Yamaha and that was 15 years ago. Very quiet power unit. Don't attack me I am just asking. I do know it is an old school generator in the M1031 by todays standards.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks