• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-105 Carpenter Trailer with Saw

brianrbull

I have seen in the past some of these m-105 trailers kitted up with large radial saws and other engineer equipment. I am putting in a wood fired boiler to heat both by 80x50 shop and my living space. I will be sourcing my wood from a local sawmill (Slab Wood) looking at the size of the saw I am hoping it will work for chopping up the slab wood into boiler sized chunks.
Does anyone have the specs on these units? I had seen one in the classifieds a while ago but alas I missed the boat.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If they are the engineer saws I am remembering you can cut railroad ties with them....they were designed to cut rough cut lumber for all kinds of building projects out on the woods.....I can't remember if they were 3 phase or not.....unless your shop has three phase you might have an issue.

If I had a chance to snag one today I'd be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are the engineer saws I am remembering you can cut railroad ties with them....they were designed to cut rough cut lumber for all kinds of building projects out on the woods.....I can't remember if they were 3 phase or not.....unless your shop has three phase you might have an issue.

If I had a chance to snag one today I'd be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.
You can always use a phase converter , you can pick them up for $50 on up depending on size needed

waayfast

Pictures please ?

I would love to see this animal . I have a manual for a military portable saw mill , is that the same ?

Thats interesting!My dad had and operated a small portable Sawmill built by the Corinth Manufacturing Co. ,Corinth,Mississippi.Found a story on the web about the history of the original company.According to the story the manufacturer built the first factory building in the State, did different manufacturing over the years.Went thru the Civil War etc. but their heyday was WWII building portable mills for the War effort.The Original building still stands and I actually called the company---Still in business making sawmill components but not complete mills.

Gave the guy the serial # off the Data plate and he aplogized that nobody really kept any records about serial numbers but said that if the unit was set on wood it was built before 1940,after 1940 they were set in steel.His educated guess was that by the serial number our mill was the 4th unit built in October 1919!

Would like to get a copy of a manual like yours just to see if its kinda the same style unit.

Jim

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been burning slab wood for a while now, to heat the house. Made up a wood rack to put the slab wood in, then cut it with chain saw. Takes about an hour to cut a full bundle(2500lbs). If you want I can post pics. It's way faster than 1-5 pieces at a time on a saw.

armytruck63

The saw I saw (no pun intended) in an M105 trailer WAS three phase. I you have access to three-phase power, either line or with a generator, this would be a great buy. I have no experience with the phase convertors.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The saw I saw (no pun intended) in an M105 trailer WAS three phase. I you have access to three-phase power, either line or with a generator, this would be a great buy. I have no experience with the phase convertors.
Phase converters convert single phase to 3 phase .You can get them to put on each machine or large enough to run a whole shop . Because unless you in a industrial area chances are your power provider doesn't offer 3 phase service

waayfast

Phase converters convert single phase to 3 phase .You can get them to put on each machine or large enough to run a whole shop . Because unless you in a industrial area chances are your power provider doesn't offer 3 phase service

I need to go the opposite way! LOL! I have a WWII M7 genset that is 3phase.How can I run single phase tools off it.For example it would be handy around here to take my shop welder outside for projects away from the building.

armytruck63

I need to go the opposite way! LOL! I have a WWII M7 genset that is 3phase.How can I run single phase tools off it.For example it would be handy around here to take my shop welder outside for projects away from the building.
You could tap a single phase of the three, depending on how the three phase outlet is wired (wye or delta). Check with an electrican.

Tapping one phase only might damage the generator. I would ask on a generator forum.

brianrbull

The one I saw in the classifieds a while back had a LARGE Black & Decker Radial saw and a lift gate on it...The power requirement is not an issue as I have 3ph on the farm and a few MEP Gens of varying sizes. I am kicking myself for not moving faster on the thing.... Guess I will have to continue cruising our "Favorite" surplus site might get lucky and find one....

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Kenny. Found some kinda big azz blades in the tool box's. Looks like big edger blade and they have a tooth on them so if anyone needs them just pay shipping. There was small amount of hand tools and a pink cover and that's all. Does have two cool boxes that mount over the wheel wells.

pistonium

I'll second the post about using a chain saw to cut slabs. I have a small sawmill, and I stack the slabs up between sets of wooden uprights....that holds the slabs tight enough; make the distance between the uprights maybe 1/2 the length of your chainsaw bar, and just go to town. It's quick and easy and pretty safe. Use lots of uprights though to support the short pieces that you get as you get to the end of the stack.

If I do it again, I'll tie the uprights together with a cross piece to hold the slabs high off the ground - allowing the sawdust to fall and making it easier on the back while sawing. Oh, and maybe notch the uprights to hold the cross pieces, and literally tie (lash) them to the uprights - that way you won't hit nails with the saw - easier to use a new lashing than to sharpen the saw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks