• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1078 Problem Child for our Volunteer Fire Department

OldArmyVet91A31C

Hello, my fire department was granted a M-1078 to be converted to a fire apparatus. It was working good until about a year ago and problems started presenting causing us to deadline the truck from making calls. If someone like an MOS 88M can help, it would greatly be appreciated.

1. The truck starts over heating from time to time.
2. The right front tire will lock up while moving(at any speed, main Deadline issue)
3. When starting, at times it will not start, and the starter has issues engaging the flywheel.
4. The transmission will go into neutral while driving, as well will only go into reverse only at times.

This truck came into service as I was getting out of the US Army in 1999, so I have no working knowledge of it, just downloaded the TM for PMCSing the truck.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would replace the thermostats if they haven't been done - does the fan kick on at 205 degrees? The fan solenoid under the passenger dash kick panel is a known issue.

For the tire locking up - pull the spider gear assembly and inspect. Probably should do an annual on the hubs, pack the bearings, set the pre-load, and shim the reduction hubs.

Sounds like the starter needs to come out and get serviced. If it's not engaging the flywheel reliably there may be an issue with the bendix. If it's not even turning the starter check the starter solenoid and electrical connections - it's near the starter mounted right below the power steering reservoir.

On the transmission - check and clean with contact cleaner all the connections to the sensors on the transmission. That's a good start anyway. You can also lookup how to pull any stored codes from the transmission control panel.

OldArmyVet91A31C

Does your dept need someone to come onsite or are you looking for troubleshooting assistance via this forum? If onsite, what area do you serve?
We are located in Ector County in West Texas, just north of Odessa, TX. If we could get someone to come out to look at the two trucks and show us what we need to keep an eye open for would be nice, just dont know if we can afford the visit, please feel free to send a quote.
Being able to trouble shoot is one thing myself and couple others can do to try and see if we can get stuff fixed to keep making calls effectively.

Lee Ashby, Jr.
Gardendale VFD

OldArmyVet91A31C

I would replace the thermostats if they haven't been done - does the fan kick on at 205 degrees? The fan solenoid under the passenger dash kick panel is a known issue.

For the tire locking up - pull the spider gear assembly and inspect. Probably should do an annual on the hubs, pack the bearings, set the pre-load, and shim the reduction hubs.

Sounds like the starter needs to come out and get serviced. If it's not engaging the flywheel reliably there may be an issue with the bendix. If it's not even turning the starter check the starter solenoid and electrical connections - it's near the starter mounted right below the power steering reservoir.

On the transmission - check and clean with contact cleaner all the connections to the sensors on the transmission. That's a good start anyway. You can also lookup how to pull any stored codes from the transmission control panel.
We will take a look this weekend and see what we can accomplish between calls.
As for the spider gear assembly, is it shown in the TM for PMCS? I will be reading it tomorrow night before going to station.

Lee Ashby, Jr.
Gardendale VFD