• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1083 MTV with Crane

frankthetank15

Hey everybody,
I'm looking into buying a M-1083 MTV and could use some help with it. I used to have a deuce so am familiar with those but this is totally new to me so need all the helpful tips and tricks I can get. I believe its a 1995 only because that's the date I was able to find on the crane. It has just over 4000 miles. First question is that the truck has not been registered, so what paper work do you need in order to register the truck in NY for the first time? As for the operational condition of the truck, I haven't able to get much information on it out of the seller because of a language/knowledge barrier. All I was able to get out of him was that it was running and driving when he got it but for some reason it stopped driving (claimed something with brakes or engine brake). There are no batteries in it now so I haven't heard it run or been able to test it, just going off what he said. I know its not much to go off but is there a known issue with these trucks driving like brake or transmission issues? Also I am struggling with a fair value for the truck, the seller has a variety of army surplus and he wants me to give him a package offer. The plan would be to keep the truck and flip the other items. There is the truck, an M10A payloader, an M989A1 expanded mobile ammunition trailer, an MC1155E crawler loader, and a MEP-004AAS 15KW generator. I know this is the MTV forum but if you have any info on the rest of these items or suggestions for a package offer price, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An "M1083 with a crane" is an M1084. https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1084.htm

Usually, the more useful the truck is to business-related work, the more they sell for. So I would expect an M1084 to sell for noticeably more than an M1083, because a tree business could use it to load trees, for example. I'm no expert on prices, and this is probably going to cause 1000 other opinions, but it seems like I generally see M1078 LMTVs in the $10k-15k range, and all the "more awesome" variants (e.g. M1079 van, M1083 6x6, etc.) in the $20k-30k range. There are a lot of factors though, of course.

You should be able to try starting the M1084 with 2 batteries, instead of 4, if you install them right. The older A0 FMTVs (<1998? A1) don't have an engine brake. FMTVs have air brakes, so if he blew a line, or broke some component (e.g. check valve, air compressor, protection valve, etc.), it's not going anywhere until fixed.

coachgeo

.... it's not going anywhere until fixed.
not on its own...... can cage brakes and tow yes. considering you got several items.... looks like your going to be hiring a big rig to haul them anyway..... so cage the brakes... (should find youtube videos etc that show you how) and winch it up onto the hauler. buy a harbor freight 12,000 lb winch to get it up on the big rig (along with chains and receiver hitch mount to fab up a temporary chain it to trailer bed winch mount?? ) or make sure to hire a hauler with a big arse winch.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I would love to have the payloader, but way too far away I have a 1084, and they are great trucks. You can start it with only two batteries, I would either really lowball all of it (barely above scrap) or somehow hear them all run. If I still lived in NY I'd love to come help you decide. Good luck!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know I would love to have the payloader, but way too far away I have a 1084, and they are great trucks. You can start it with only two batteries, I would either really lowball all of it (barely above scrap) or somehow hear them all run. If I still lived in NY I'd love to come help you decide. Good luck!
Yes sir, that payloader would be a neat nice machine to move things around.

Looking at it, I need that dozier about as bad as I need a hole in my head - but it sure would be neat to have.

frankthetank15

An "M1083 with a crane" is an M1084. https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1084.htm

Usually, the more useful the truck is to business-related work, the more they sell for. So I would expect an M1084 to sell for noticeably more than an M1083, because a tree business could use it to load trees, for example. I'm no expert on prices, and this is probably going to cause 1000 other opinions, but it seems like I generally see M1078 LMTVs in the $10k-15k range, and all the "more awesome" variants (e.g. M1079 van, M1083 6x6, etc.) in the $20k-30k range. There are a lot of factors though, of course.

You should be able to try starting the M1084 with 2 batteries, instead of 4, if you install them right. The older A0 FMTVs (<1998? A1) don't have an engine brake. FMTVs have air brakes, so if he blew a line, or broke some component (e.g. check valve, air compressor, protection valve, etc.), it's not going anywhere until fixed.
Good to know that its a actually an M1084 so thanks! My main concern is the truck not driving due to some larger issue like a transmission issue or similar. A brake issue would be an awesome easy fix. I don't think I want to try and start it though, I'm hoping by gambling on it running but not actually seeing it run I could get it cheaper

frankthetank15

not on its own...... can cage brakes and tow yes. considering you got several items.... looks like your going to be hiring a big rig to haul them anyway..... so cage the brakes... (should find youtube videos etc that show you how) and winch it up onto the hauler. buy a harbor freight 12,000 lb winch to get it up on the big rig (along with chains and receiver hitch mount to fab up a temporary chain it to trailer bed winch mount?? ) or make sure to hire a hauler with a big arse winch.
Yea plan was to cage the brakes and have it low bedded out along with the loader. Luckily I have access to a truck a trailer for the crawler and the trailer (if it isnt seized that is).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks