• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-109A3 buying questions

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning Folks I have a couple decision to make here and am asking for a small assist in thme concerning purchasing a 1970 M-109A3. I am very familiar with the Truck and chassis components having already restored my M-35A2 so I am very good with that part BUT I have NO experience with the 109 shop van addition. What kind of things do I need to be aware of? What things need to be looked at for problems? The electrical power boxes inside what needs to be considered with these? I have a feeling I really want one of these trucks but just trying to educate myself somewhat so as to be able to make an educated decision, any suggestions would sure be appreciated. I have read a lot already on working on the van body but still need more info please!
Thanks a lot
KK

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that info drgreg is the roof easily fixed or would a person end up replacing it? And if that is the case are parts available to do so?
KK

Katahdin

Roofs will vary, you should climb onto the top of the box and inspect the seams where the sheet metal panels are riveted together. Depending upon the leaks or rust damage, you're probably going to be using the same roof sealants as a RV owner would use, or replacing the sheet metal (welding or riveting) to patch it up. Geocel sells a RV roof sealant that should be good for 10 years.

wsucougarx

As mentioned the van box is notorious for leaks. Definately try and get topside to see if you have any cancer to deal with. The leaks and the biggest issues with these van boxes. Check the molding along the wall/floor joint for rust spots and dry rotted boards along the edge. That'll be your indicator the walls are full of water...mine were:p. Other than that the electrical is pretty straightforward.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys for your help in this new adventure I plan on putting in a bid tomorrow on one of the trucks lets see where it goes? If it goes well I will be sending the pics of the recovery and will have a bout a 300 mile drive to get the truck home, always something interesting! Thanks for your assistance once again!
KK

stampy

+1 on the RV sealant. They are SO GREAT THOUGH!!!! I just sealed mine before I painted it. Lots off good builds on this site also.[thumbzup]

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiring for the back is pretty straight forward, most modify the input for gen/solar/rv hookup anyway. Definately pay close attention to the roof/walls for rust/cancer. The floors should get a good checkout as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks