• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 1500

OshTruck_Trainer

Thanks for the Welcome guys. I will be happy to help when I can. I am mostly involved with Arff not so much the military as of yet. Are 1 ton chevy axels with lockers and 4:88 gears hydrolic steering and duel tractor tires of intrest to anyone? or is that to small for you guys? sorry for jumping thread.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
OshTruck_Trainer said:
Thanks for the Welcome guys. I will be happy to help when I can. I am mostly involved with Arff not so much the military as of yet. Are 1 ton chevy axels with lockers and 4:88 gears hydrolic steering and duel tractor tires of intrest to anyone? or is that to small for you guys? sorry for jumping thread.
Heck yeah! I'd like some more info on those! Got any pics of the trucks they are in? You can't bring something like that up and not expect this:

nopics

Capt. Hook

Do you know where I can find a service manual for that truck? Or at least what the specs are like what motor, transfer, tranny? Sorry I'm not trying to hijack your post I am just having a lot of trouble getting anything about this and I know nothing about these trucks. I am currently working on a 1975 P4 or M1500.

tamangel

old thread but had put your question on another forum and, just by chance was over there and found that someone had put up some info...(no auto notify that any new replys came in.. :( )

hope it helps and still useful..

my question:
can anyone advise what model/type of axles were under the Oshkosh P-4/M1500 6X6 fire truck? Also any source for on-line or digital manuals out there?

answer:
The front axle is a rockwelll model FM 240 double reduction with a gear ratio 5.82 to 1

The rear axle is a rockwell model M 240 Double reduction with a gear ratio 5.82 to 1

Transmission is a Allison CLT 4460Power Shift

Gear ratio is as follows

1) 4.000:1 11mph

2) 2.824:1 15mph

3) 2.000:1 22mph

4) 1.412:1 31mph

5) 1.000:1 43mph

6) 0.706:1 62mph

reverse 4.769:1 9mph

(no help for manuals other than suggestions to contact military FD's and/or Oshkosh factory..)

Mike

Last edited:
ok here's some more good info for ya on the axles in these trucks. The axles are the same as a 5ton axle except for a few details. The gear ratio is different (5.81:1) and they have a 2.25" 23 spline axleshaft in them and are fitted with an airlocker differential. The steering knuckles are the same all except for the arms have an extra bend in them to clear the wide wheels they ran but stil will fit right on the 5ton housing. All the other parts will swap with a 5ton and also these third members will fit into a regular 5ton housing with no modifactions other than swapping out the sidegears in the carrier halves. Also the middle axle had a power divider that can be disengaged so you only run on the back axle on the highway. To use the airlocker though you need the housing and axle shafts these parts won't won't work on a regular 5ton unless you swap the complete axle into the truck. These axles are tough as heck. I've ran a set in my bronco mud bogger for 5 yrs now with 66" tall tractor tires and monster truck tires and no breakage at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks