• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 151 Input Needed

ATLANTIC FIREARMS

We cleaned up the 151 from winter storage and took her out for a late spring test ride getting ready for summer fun. The truck was running fine then cut out , I can re re start but when I let off the clutch the truck cuts out again. Towed back to the storage area and tested here again same thing runs fine but when you try to let off the clutch she will shot off. We had no problems towing but now she seems like something may be stock because the truck feel locked up when you try to push her. Any suggestions ?

poppop

Welcome aboard.

I don't have a clue what your problem could be but sounds like you will have to jack it up and confirm all drivetrain parts turn freely. When it cut out the first time did it stop suddenly or roll to a stop??

B3.3T

You are not giving a very complete explanation of the problems. Is the motor just quitting or stalling under force?

ATLANTIC FIREARMS

I believe it rolled to a stop but am not sure , I was not going fast and in grassy field .When you let off the clutch it just dies , no real strain or other mechanical feel in the drivetrain . No klunking or bucking just cuts out .

progun

Check transmission oil. I had one go empty on me and locked up the trans. I did free it up and used it for a while but replaced it with a NOS one later.

poppop

Be sure you pull the right plug to check the trans, pull the wrong one and you have to take the top off the transmission to fix it.

ATLANTIC FIREARMS

We are thinking it has something to do with the tranny , when talking about the plug to pull can you please elaborate on that . What does a replacement transmission cost approx ? & Who has them ? Thanks for all the help !!

poppop

The correct plug is on the drivers side towards the front of the transmission and about three inches up. It is kind of hard to see. The plug on the passenger side is often mistaken for the fill plug because it is easier to see looks a lot like a fill plug. It is higher up and is the pivot for the reverse shifter fork. If you remove it you will hear a clunk as the fork drops down into the transmission and will have to pull the top off to re-install it. It has been done many times and at least twice on mine. There are several MUTT parts suppliers such as TNJ Murray that should have transmissions. I have bought a lot of parts on e-bay so I would check there also. I have not priced one in a long time so have no idea on price. If you replace it I might be interested in your top cover if its in good shape as mine is having some shifting problems.

nattieleather

The engine cutting out may be a problem with the points or the coil in the distributor. I had mine due that after winter storage a many years ago. I think it was the coil that was causing the problem. The other problem may be in the brakes. They may have locked up. When ever you take a MUTT out of storage you should go through the truck and adjust the brakes making sure they are functions, bleed the system to make sure there is no air in the system. Check the electrical system and do your LUBE-ORD on the truck. Grease and oil it all up. This way you are sure that all is working properly. If you don't have the -10 and -20 manuals you should get them. They will be a great help for you.

B3.3T

Indeed, the manuals are critical if you are going to tackle this yourself. And the coils are probably the biggest weakness of the whole M-151 series...

Lindsaym151

Try going over to the G838 site and state your situation!
Rick, Muttguru are excellent mechanics! they will get you squared away
Best of luck!

Whiterabbit

I think the brakes or parking brake are locked up if it won't roll with the truck in neutral or with the clutch pushed in.
Just my SWAG.
Engine should still spin over/start with the clutch in but if the brakes are locked up it'll stall when you try to take off.
See SWAG statement above.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks