• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-172A1 Trailer Ramps

timm831

Does anyone have any idea how to permanately (spelling?) mount the ramps on the back of an M-172 trailer? I would like to attach them then use air over hydrailics to raise and lower the ramps. I realize that I'd have to relocate the tail lights from the back of the trailer but was thinking of mounting them to the ramps once they are attached.

I have added additional handles to the sides of the ramps but, if there is a way to have power ramps that would be the cat's a**.

L999here

...thought about it...

Getting old and was having the same thoughts...LOL. Ramps are too heavy for any type of hinge arrangement I can think of. If someone does have a fix...I'd sure like to see it...!!

Chief_919

If you can find the ramp sections used on the medium girder bridge, they work graet on the 172's and are all aluminum.

When I was in a unit that had 172's we were always swiping them from bridge companies...

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air over hydraulic??? Gotta see that....
Electric/hydraulic would be the recommended power for ramp cylinders.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The m172 I got from AMGeneral has/had hinges and a place to mount a cylinder- but they cut the hinges off and the ramps didn't com with it, so I don't know exactly what they had rigged to it. I plan on building a set of ramps for mine. Won't hold a m60, but will work just fine for deuces and the like.

timm831

Well Jr, I'm not getting any younger. Jus tlooknig for some ideas. I do like the pictures that M1075 posted. I think we might be able to do something like that pretty easy.

timm831

PCTRANS,

The reason I had stated using air over hydraulic was I was thinknig of using the tractor's air suply for the ramps. Thought about tapping into the emergency air supply and placing the control valves on the gooseneck. You do have a good idea with using electric over hydraulic though.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first M172 was set up just like the pic in M1075's post. It used a 12 volt hydraulic power unit like you would see with a snow plow or wrecker. I thought the ramps sticking 10' up in the air looked retarded and cut the whole mess off and went back to the herniated disc method.

L999here

...good perspective...LOL....

Of course, hauling around a tracked piece of armor has it's own rewards. Just like a gun show....set-up and take-down are the worst parts. Sweating,cussing and having to get your body in difficult positions (...over 60,guys...) makes it difficult. But the wide-eyed folks and kids pointing out an MV on the move make all the work worth it. And if those incredibly heavy ramps are blocking the view of your beloved MV...well.....yeah...they need to be out of the way. So...I'll continue to huff,puff and sweat it out while moving those ramps around ....for the kids.....LOL.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks