• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-211 change over

jj9620

:?: Help I have a M-211 that im thinking about changing from the 302 to a diesel is this a good idea and what motor would be the best fit for this change

1992TWINZ

I have had my 211 for a couple of weeks it is totaly different than my 35. I was also thinking of this . It looks like it would be easier to remove front nose clip and install on a m35 chassis . The 211 has a totaly different drive train . It would be a shame to cutup a good 211 working on custom cars for many years nothing is worse than ruining a good vehicle for a custom project. They dont make em anymore. Just a thought.

m109guy

Unless the engine in the M211 is having problems, I wouldn't recommend it. Don't change it if it ain't broke. For the trouble it is going to give you, it would be easier and possibly cheaper just to get an M35.

Don't forget that it is not only the engine you would have to change, but also the transmission. I seriously doubt you could find an engine that could match up to the old hydromatic transmission and run properly. Then you have to find an engine and transmission that would fit in there properly. I have seen someone who did change the engine with a diesel with a standard transmission, but it was from the same area as the truck (1950-60's).

jj9620

M-211

Thanks I think Ill just have the 302 rebuilt when I bought it the seller said it only neede a head gasket but its been sitting for about two years now I was hauling heavy equipment and had no time but I got smart and quit so now I have more time yep still employed :p:grin:

m109guy

Good to hear that you will bring the old girl back to life. I have an M135 and M211 and am very happy with them.

Make sure to document your rebuild with pictures and posts here on the site. We always like to see these projects through. Post any other questions you may have :D

FreightTrain

Banned
Heck no,I vote Diesel.Drop a 16V149 in that puppy!Mount it in the bed backwards like the Ford F150 with the Red head cummins had in Diesel power about 3 issues back.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not just the engine & transmission, but the T-case is a single speed unit. Plus, there is no provision for a clutch pedal.

Lee in Alaska

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not just the engine & transmission, but the T-case is a single speed unit. Plus, there is no provision for a clutch pedal.

Lee in Alaska

Capt.Marion

It wouldn't maybe be cheaper to buy a diesel (a la M35A2), it woulddefinitely be cheaper. And you wouldn't get excommunicated from any military vehicle groups for cutting up a classic and close-to-rare truck.

JasonS

I had an M135 with a 302 and a five speed from a CCKW. The fairly low first gear kinda negated the need for a two speed transfer case, in my opinion. Another option is to get a two speed transfer case from a CCKW.

firedude

While working for the fire dept here, I had to rebuild a burned up hydromatic in one of our surplus M135's that had been converted to a water tanker. The transmission is for all practical purposes the same as a Cadillac-Olds-Buick-Pontiac trans of the same vintage, with the exception of the two-speed reduction assembly, oil cooler pan, and bell housing.

I have a 1952 M135 in my yard at the moment that I would love to repower, but what I had in mind was to use a vintage V-8 motor from the above mentioned models, or possibly a 60's GMC V-6, which was sold with a hydromatic in some of it's earlier incarnations.

The biggest problem as mentioned previously with any modification that entails swapping out the transmission is losing the low range gear as it is part of the transmission instead of the transfer case.

The later model CCKW transfer case may be a way to go. I also have a 1943 CCKW and it utilizes the same axle assemblies as the later M135-211's. However hanging a clutch pedal presents a major project in itself.

My vote is to stick with the hydromatic if you can. They are well built and hard to break unless you abuse them. (2000 gallons of water was abuse:cry:)

Anyone else who have had experience with this topic please share your knowledge. I still need research on doing a swap myself. :-D

Thanks,
Firedude

citizensoldier

I wouldnt because of the already mentioned reasons.. But if I was .. I would consider a 4BT or 6BT Cummins.. .. You can build anything if you throw enough time and money at it.. Would it be worth it compared to the price of a M35A2 ready to go? I dont think so.. The old GMC's are getting harder to find..

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
one more thing to consider is the axles, they are of ww2 vintage, go to changing motors and trans. making a LOT more tourque, the third members and axles will probably make a big BANG and need to be replaced

williamh

i have rebuilt the 302 and it is easy ... all of the parts are still available .... even if you need to have the motor re sleeved .. its the same as the gmc 289 industrial motor , and as for installing a V-8 in one .... i had one that was from a fire dep. in Colorado and it had been re powered and i wish i could remember what the motor size was .... i think it was a pontiac 428 .... and it was ruined .... the thrust bearings were totally gone .. way too much tork on the motor .... the inline 6 is much more suited for this app.

firedude

i have rebuilt the 302 and it is easy ... all of the parts are still available .... even if you need to have the motor re sleeved .. its the same as the gmc 289 industrial motor , and as for installing a V-8 in one .... i had one that was from a fire dep. in Colorado and it had been re powered and i wish i could remember what the motor size was .... i think it was a pontiac 428 .... and it was ruined .... the thrust bearings were totally gone .. way too much tork on the motor .... the inline 6 is much more suited for this app.
I would like to put an early to mid 60's GMC V-6 in, as I think I can find a factory made bell housing to mate the hydromatic to it. I also plan to mount a 750 GPM fire pump on the front bumper that drives off the front of the engine, this being my main reason for wanting an engine with a little more power, otherwise I would stick with the 302, which runs quite well.

FD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks