• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 211 with winch

JamBand

Hi Guys,
My name is Nate I’m kind of new to this site I just picked up my M 211. I tried to find pics on this truck but there are very few pics online. I wanted one for years but couldn’t find any that was complete, close by or in my price range. I know a few of you mentioned that these trucks are underpowered. I was curious would a 292 GM 300 hp I6 engine work? Will it even bolt up? I was thinking about replacing a 302 with a 250 or a 292.
Please check out this link and tell me what you think.

http://www.customdesignperformance.com/leo/assembly.html

Thanks
Nate

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for underpowered, it depends on your expectations. I used one for about 20 years on the farm. I had a hoist under the bed, using it to haul grain, stone, etc. I also had an 11' plow on the front for winter. I pulled a 32 foot flatbed trailer hauling farm machinery also. I got it all done, just not fast! The "weak" transmission gave me no trouble during this time, but I followed the advice of a transmission shop owner who worked on them in the military and built the civilian version for racing that advised under no circumstances leave the engine oil in it. Drain, fill with Dexron, run about 500 miles, drain and refill again. Keep the band adjusted according to the little indicator is under a cap on the front top of the valve body boss on the side of the tranny.
If you want to fly down the highway with a load, then no, it will not be what you want with the stock motor. If you use it casually so to say, it will be suitable, in my estimation. I cannot speak from experience, but I highly doubt the later series sixes will bolt up.
I worked this truck hard, and it treated me well. It is sitting here in well-earned retirement now.
Regards Marti

m109guy

I know a few of you mentioned that these trucks are underpowered.
If you compare it to a modern truck, yes, but it is from the 1950's. You can't expect a truck from that area to smoke it down the road like you do in your modern car.

I would start with trying to get it running first. If you find the engine is seized, damaged, or just too much work, then yes, try to change it. Though you also have to take in considering the transmission. You can't simply bolt any engine to the old hydromatic transmission, you will need to find a transmission that fits on your new engine and in the frame too.

Truck looks good. Can't wait to see her and and running again :D

DanMartin

Remember that on the Jimmy's, the high/low range is in the trans, not the x-fer case. If you replace the engine & tranny, you will either need to find (and engineer into place) a x-fer case that has high/low range, or just not have low range in the final truck (which would be a shame).

That's a nice looking truck...I would do what I could to get the engine and trans from it working again (or replace with working versions of the stock hardware). That's the best/simplest/cheapest solution IMO. Plus you know it's all going to work as-designed. Those round-nose deuces are cool trucks...please don't cut it up if you can avoid it.

dabtl

This appears to be an early M211 as it has the stone guards on the bumper and a slave cable connection on the side.

The roof appears to be an after market Memphis top, I think.

butch atkins

M211

what do the data plates say,there should be several bolted to the dash panel,on the top of the STEEL SOLDIERS home page,click on resources,then technical manuals,then download these manuals for your truck,TM 9-8024 OPERATORS manual, TM 9- 1819AC,ORDNANCE manual,TM 9-8025-1 GMC 302 ENGINE,motor manual,dont know how you plan to recover truck ,but if you plan on towing it,READ pg 70-71 in the TM 9-8024 MANUAL FIRST !,put transfer case in neutral before you try to tow truck,unlike modern automatic trannys,you can push or tow this truck and the tranny is locked up to the motor,you can very easily damage the tranny unless you put transfer case in neutral,PLEASE,READ THE TECHNICAL MANUALS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.and post and ask questions,we will be glad to help you,these trucks are becoming scarce,and one as good looking as yours,with a winch is hard to find,its your toy,but dont hurt it because of lack of knowledge,help is only a post away,anyway ,good luck on your project,KEEP POSTING

JamBand

Thanks for your advice. I'm now going to keep it all original. I read many of your post it doesn't make sense to modify it.
Nate

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a great truck. All good advice above. I have driven one all over the north country. Not fast, but you'll get there. Looks like yours has seen a little domestic combat. That 302 is a great engine, for its time. be sure to keep it timed properly. If it gets retarded much, it will break manifolds from excessive manifold heat.

If you get into a bad stuck, the winch is handy, in that you can put the tranny in low range, and help the winch out. The auto tranny is good that way.

Lee in Alaska