• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 211 ???????

cumminsdeuce

Couple of questions. Found a good deal on a 211. Anything bad about these I should know about? Are parts still readily available. Would like to convert to single axle-single wheel. is this possible with the 211? Thanks for the info/help.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M211

I own several of these trucks, some parts trucks. The M135 was the single tire version. The M135 hubs and rims were different to offset the tires out wider for stability as compared to just taking off the outer wheels on a dual wheel M211. The M135 rims had a shallower offset, and the mounting flange on the rear hubs was set out closer to the outer end to further set the tread width wider. I did, however, remove the outer duals when plowing through snow to get rid of the resistance of the dual tires, and had no problems with an M211. It is probably not a real good idea, though if one has a high CG.
The truck has a pivoting spring assembly that serves both axles, with the axles located by torque rods. One would need to modify the spring mounting to use a single rear axle. The axle would have to have the original spring retainers removed and new perches welded on if you were to build up conventional single axle type spring assemblies. One could just remove one axle and make up a saddle down from the frame for that end of the existing spring assembly to sit in, but it might look too weird for one's satisfaction!
The truck has a separate driveshaft for each rear axle out of the transfer case. The shaft to the rearmost axle is carried over the frontmost axle by a bearing carrier mounted to the axle housing. I have run a truck like this for years with one shaft disconnected by means of a in-cab controlled jaw clutch in the shaft I made to cut down on road wear and rolling resistance. I had no problems driving the loaded truck with one driveshaft except in soft conditions, which is when I engaged the jaw clutch to make the other axle drive.
Hope this helps! Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M211 Parts

To answer your question about parts, my experience has been good. Memphis Equipment has them, and probably Saturn, a sponsor of this site. The engine is like the civilian motor except for the waterproof ignition. I got gaskets, etc. from NAPA. One definite word of advice: Get the engine oil out of the tranny if it is what is still in it. Put Dexron in it and keep the bands adjusted for long life. I did that, and used my truck for 20 years hauling stone and grain with no tranny problems. There are lots of people who say it is a weak tranny, but my experience was very different. An owner of an automatic tranny shop that worked on these Hydramatics for years, and also built them for racing, told me about the oil change in no uncertain terms. Time proved him right!
Also, on the front of the pan on the tranny, you will see an oval cover. Drain the coolant, and remove the cover. Wash out the gunk in the cavity, if any. This is the tranny cooler, and the low spot of the system, so it is here gunk will collect. Keep its cooler clean, keep it adjusted, put Dexron in it, and it will work for years!
Axle brake cylinder cups were available from NAPA, as well as points,condensors, water pump, etc..
Regards Marti

cumminsdeuce

Thanks for the info. I am putting a 5.9 cummins in the 211 so I really just wondered about parts for the axles. I see you can get lock outs for the M35 front axle and wondered if I can get them for this also. Are brakes a big deal to replace or modify? What gear ratio, 6.72?? I also found an M 135 for $100 if the rears would be more suitable for the swap. And one last question, can I still buy a hard top for this truck or will I have to completely fab one up? Thanks for all the help and info.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I seem to have seen lockouts for this truck YEARS ago...doubt its an off the shelf item anywhere now - salvage yard only - and tough at that. M135/M211 axles are the same, no difference in ratios. Hard top is available from Memphis Equipment. Brakes have two cylinders per drum...I am a stock man all the way, so I can't advise as to difficulty of modifying the brakes, or the truck itself.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

deuceman51

I have both the M211 and M135 trucks and love them. They are simple to work on and built very tough. I do also have some gaskets and parts for the trucks if you need them, just drop me an email and let me know what you need and I might have it. Good luck with your project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks