• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-37 Coil

Need some feed-back, I am new to the M-37 family, have a 1951 model that was originally a radio truck. The big generator was changed to the 25 amp before I got it.
Question is, how much trouble do ya'll have with these trucks eating ignition coils? I have replaced two in the last 4 months. The first would sull and die when heat soaked, cool and run a while. The second just died during anoff road ride with some other MV'ers, it never came back and we had to trailer the truck home.
THe truck is COMPLETELY stock, runs great, has the 185 thermostat but does not get overheated, only uses roughly a quart of oil every 100 miles, no smoke or plug issues.
Thoughts or did I just get a bum coil to follow an old coil.....

Capt.Marion

I don't know. I haven't had any coil problems in mine. Come to the GAMVPA meeting tomorrow, and talk to the Scheaffers. They're the only reason I haven't blown my m37 to bits yet...

Mine hasn't eaten any coils. Probably just got a bum one...

Bill W

I had problems with my coils or so I thought it was my coil
Then I found out that the supression filter which is located in the dist base ( where power leed plugs into ) can get saturated and die out like a coil does when it gets hot, so I cut it open and pulled out the foil paper that was in it ( filter in top of photo). You can do what I did or just pull it and run power leed right to coil. It cured my "coil" problems

Attachments

Blake

coil

The new replacement coils that have metric fasteners on the top and the body is shiny are junk. You need to find an original coil and your problems will go away.