• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-37 Shelter Tie-Down Cables and Attachments

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still re-assembling the truck but eventually one of my restored AN/GRC-46's will be put on the M-37. I’ve been looking for stock shelter tie-down cables for some time but no success. There were a few methods of shelter security used over the years but I focused on the type I was most familiar with during my signal corps days. That type is shown in the first picture and they attach to the bed rails. Looking at them again after all these years, I decided I could make my own.
By luck the bed rails match the ID if 1-1/4” conduit. EMT will NOT work for several reasons; you must use standard conduit. The conduit is cut into 4” lengths and a slot is removed. Then one end is welded shut and a plate is welded on for the turnbuckle attachment. Drill a hole and you are finished. There are left and right types for the front and back of the bed rails and left and right.
If anyone is interested, I made a CAD drawing of these prior to making them. Not sure how to post ACAD or PDF files here. The drawings, along with the pictures shown in this post, will show you how to do it. Welding is required as well as a source of some small pieces of plate steel. You can buy a short section of conduit at Lowes. I have included a picture showing how they fit on the bed rails even though I don’t have the shelter loaded.
Swaged cables are also available on-line from several vendors. You will need 4 cables with thimbles swaged on each end and a hook at one end for shelter attachment. “Jaw”/’Jaw” turnbuckles should be used to avoid having to swage the cables to the turnbuckles, unless you have a swagger.

Attachments

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an S-89 shelter in my M37..

I swagged my own cables and essentially put large eyelets on the inside of the bed directly below the tie point.. I decided against the "cross ways" method because i also mounted a 33ft crankup mast on the shelter and they would be in the way.

View attachment 394203View attachment 394204

also my comfy air conditioner (its removable.. simply hooks to the windows frame and supported by small cables)... :)

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do any of you guys know of an S-89 that is looking for a new home? Please let me know if you do or you hear of one. I'm looking to adopt one.

Thanks,

Storm 51

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do any of you guys know of an S-89 that is looking for a new home? Please let me know if you do or you hear of one. I'm looking to adopt one.

Thanks,

Storm 51
S-89's are quite hard to find as they were phased out early. S-144, same size and era, are more common. I will have another S-144 for sale next year but it's fully loaded with an AN/GRC-46 RATT rig.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the difference between the S-89 and the S-144?

One of the reasons I like the S-89 is because you can still use the top bows and canvas to cover it up.

I've got a whole bunch of green radios to put in the shelter (A/N GRC-3, -5, -7, A/N GRR-5, & a A/N VRC-7. There are others I could build up too). That's why I need a shelter.

It would be a shame for me to buy the S-144 that is already all set up as an A/N GRC-46.

Please keep me in mind if you come across any shelters. My radios need a permanent home. They are starting to whine about camping all the time......

Thanks,

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I enjoyed your website and am now a little more knowledgeable (anything added to zero is a vast increase in knowledge).

It looks like a S-144 might even be better since it is lighter (900 vs 1200 lbs). As long as the external dimensions are the same, I really don't care which way the door swings; and having the fuel tank for the heater outside seems like a plus to me.

So if you see or hear of either shelter I'd be very interested. Please keep me in mind and let me know if you find any looking for a new home.

Thanks,

Storm 51

HAWKMAN

Thanks,

Storm 51
Shame that I'm so far from you, I've got a couple I'd part with. One's an MTC-7A that would love a second chance on life!