• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-43 3/4 ton 4x4 Ambulance Truck

Mgraf

M-43 3/4 ton 4x4 Ambulance Truck - any suggestions on this. It has a 318 V8 and I am looking for an original "L" Head, 6 cylinder. And any other sites or suggestions and advise.

Also it still has the 24 volt system... should I change it to 12 volt?

Thanks

Attachments

Capt.Marion

For the engine- Keep your eyes peeled for steals and parts trucks. Or find someone that is doing an engine upgrade (to a diesel or 251 etc...) and see if they'll sell/give/trade you their 230.

Electrical- Stay 24 volt. It was designed to be this way, and thus will operate the best that way. Plus, you just use 2 12 volt batteries, so if a battery goes kaput, its that easy to replace it.

And of course, nice lookin truck! Don't see many looking like that anymore before restoration or anything...

Michael

There is such a thing as a NOS in the can engine, but you will pay a big price to get one. There was a thread here were someone found one. Be sure to check the engine because the cans were suppose to be air tight, but many have been opened or damaged at some point in time and the engines are ruined from moisture.

citizensoldier

Just wondering here.. Your wanting to restore this truck back to factory specs? If the conversion to the 318 was done right I would leave it.. If your going to drive it much you will bummed with the power difference when you back to the 230.. Crate motors are very rare so dont count on one.. Are you willing to pay a little for shipping? If so I have seen complete units on ebay. You can also go to the G741 website.. There are lots of good guys on that site and might be able to hook you up with a motor. Are you looking for a rebuildable unit? Or want a running motor? I know lots of questions but need some more info.

Michael

Yea, I should have said BIG price, like more than you paid for the truck. If you were lucky enough to find one. I know one guy that has one and the one on this list are the only two I have heard of in the last 20 years.

zak

Mgraf I too started out with a m43 with the wrong engine. It had a chev sm block and a auto trans. I had looked for a " with as little rust as possible" truck and this was the best I had run accross and fairly close to home. And as luck would have it, I found a 230 less than 20 miles away that was taken out and replaced with a 318. Take your time , 230's are out there even if you have to get a parts truck to get one. You might even find a 251/265 that was in the canadian models. My aim is to restore mine back to original as possible so I'm not worried about speed. A word of warning, all these trucks with age leak at the roof seams. The water seeps into the interior insulation that acts like a sponge. It rusts from the inside out starting at the roof seems.. Mice also seem to be attracted to the insulation. If you have to store it outside protect the seems from water.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it's coming along nicely, zak. I am not tearing down my -725 ambulance that much for resto, I hope there isn't a lot of that rust inside the walls, cause I'm not tearing my interior apart like that. As long as the outside walls are good, I am not messing with it.

What color are you planning to repaint it when complete?

gwalker

Interesting, first time I saw an ambulance w a personell heater on the fender,(gas fired one too) since the ambulances always came w an interior heater already.Wonder if it was stationed in alaska or something?

citizensoldier

Looks good

zak said:
Lane, I've been lazy this winter. Body is ready to come off the frame, I just need to get some steel and built a cradle.
I dont think that looks like lazy to me.. I learned this from gympyrob "slow and steady wins the race"
Did you get all the 230 parts you needed? I have some extras if you need them.. Still looking for another 251 crank if you happen accross one.
Sorry for post hyjack.. :D

Mgraf

Looks like I keep the 318 motor. My plans are to get it to be a solid dependable 4x4 truck and use it in South Dakota - Black Hills area.
Came across some roads the winter - near my land I could not get to w/ a 1/2 4x4 Chevy, and decided not to let that happen again

Attachments

Mgraf

MilitaryRestoration said:
here is the one I found... http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13008&highlight=

ps did you buy that ambulance? i know it was for sale right here in my own back yard but looked pretty rough to me. If you did get it what did you end up giving for it?
Yes, It was in Oregon - paid 4k with a new parts for Trans, Transfer, front and rear axles - and some other misc parts for it was well. The body, does look rough - but the guy who inspected it said it was solid with some rust - flat area - back door - surface stuff - cut out and replace type of thing.

Thanks for the link, man what a find on the motor - what are the chances of that happening again?

Thanks - Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks