• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 54 Multifuel 465 a1 engine question

m816

Gentlemen, My nephew has just finished rebuilding the engine in my guntruck and we took it out for a spin. The readings on the fuel pressure were in the range of 50 psi and the boost, read at the intake manifold. It was 30-35 psi while running at 2500 rpm and at 60-65 mph. Jatonka says that is too hot. Does any one know what the proper readings for a five ton multifuel engine with the turbo should be? I really don't want to blow another engine. I know there are a couple real smart guys out there that have the info I need. I sure would like to get this straight before I head out for another gathering. Thanks Vinny

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn the max fuel rate down.

I would stay below 15psi boost. 10-12 psi would be conservative(safe).

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Gentlemen, My nephew has just finished rebuilding the engine in my guntruck and we took it out for a spin. The readings on the fuel pressure were in the range of 50 psi and the boost, read at the intake manifold. It was 30-35 psi while running at 2500 rpm and at 60-65 mph. Jatonka says that is too hot. Does any one know what the proper readings for a five ton multifuel engine with the turbo should be? I really don't want to blow another engine. I know there are a couple real smart guys out there that have the info I need. I sure would like to get this straight before I head out for another gathering. Thanks Vinny
M816, is that The Untouchable??

m816

Here goes again, sure wish I was better at this posting stuff. Hey poppabear, Yes, the Untouchable is back together and running strong. We started it up and took it out for a spin friday moning. Runs like a raped ape. Hit 70 mph and pulled the hills in high gear. I got so excited I wanted to hit the interstate just to go pass a Schneider truck just cause I could. Had to settle for taking it down to the scale where it tipped out at 23,320 lbs. John got all kind of gauges hanging on it with tye wire, so we know what it is doing. We are getting 30/35 lbs boost and 40/50 psi on the fuel preasure gauge. John Tennis says we are too hot. So where are we supposed to be? Keep in mind that I have an over drive trans in it too. We have plans to instal a pyro in it but that will be in a couple weeks. so any one who knows some stuff we would like to hear from. BTW Happy new year to everyone. Thanks Vinny

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow 30-35psi of boost out of these engines is beyond temping fate. Like doghead mentioned 10-12psi is safe. I'd say 15psi max of boost. I doubt these small turbos (relatively speaking) have a map that works much more than 15psi. Once you've ventured out of the map, you're only pushing "hot" air into the engine. And you've typically reached the point that you're overspeeding the turbo's shaft speed.

Another good thing to check is the EGTs. Did you install a pyro with all these other gauges? A generally accepted temp for EGT's is 1250-1200.

I can't comment on the fuel pressure though. I'm not certain what the lift pump is rated at. Nor do I know the acceptable range of pressure for the injection pump. I do know that once the fuel system is primed, the in-tank pump could die and the IP (injection pump) can draw fuel on it's own. (But in my experience, this is rough on the IP [well on the bosch VP and VE pumps I own])

AMGeneral

Just guessing here,but did you measure the fuel pressure at the bleeder valve at the top of the fuel filter housing on the side of the engine,if so 50 to 65 psi is normal for any multifuel,I think the return spring on the side of the injection pump head is set to open at 75 psi or so.

But I second everyone else,30 to 35 psi is a LOT of boost for an LDS, if it has the proper LDS turbo with the wastegate,it should open well before that pressure is reached.

if it has a D or C turbo,no wastegate there,the sky is the limit pressure wise,untill the impellers explode from excessive speed.

I would definetly install a pyrometer and check exhaust temperature,and decrease the fuel rate till it stays under 1100 degrees under load.

Just my 2 cents.

m816

Thanks for all the input guys. We will be hooking up a egt soon, and untill then we are going to just store the truck untill the weather gets a little more moderate. I caused john more thatn enough o fa back log on his other projects. I would like to let him get caught up until I get the parts we need as well as build up the bank account a little. The rebuild was a **** of a hit when we were not ready for it. There is a lot of concern about what parts are real for the truck and what has been replaced by the previous owner. We have been able to tell mostly because everything he did was half assed and we have redone but we go back and forth cross referencing numbers to be sure. I'm thinking the turbo has been changed so we may have to get those numbers verified . also the distributor head has been monkeyed with but we just got anothe five ton IP so we will be checking that with what we now have. So much of the engine has been mixed with deuce parts that we have been going nuts straightening stuff out. I'll Post the results when we get the pyro mounted Thanks again, Vinny

vtdeucedriver

Thanks for all the input guys. We will be hooking up a egt soon, and untill then we are going to just store the truck untill the weather gets a little more moderate. I caused john more thatn enough o fa back log on his other projects. I would like to let him get caught up until I get the parts we need as well as build up the bank account a little. The rebuild was a **** of a hit when we were not ready for it. There is a lot of concern about what parts are real for the truck and what has been replaced by the previous owner. We have been able to tell mostly because everything he did was half assed and we have redone but we go back and forth cross referencing numbers to be sure. I'm thinking the turbo has been changed so we may have to get those numbers verified . also the distributor head has been monkeyed with but we just got anothe five ton IP so we will be checking that with what we now have. So much of the engine has been mixed with deuce parts that we have been going nuts straightening stuff out. I'll Post the results when we get the pyro mounted Thanks again, Vinny
Hey Vinny,
When things slow down, shoot me a E-mail
vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com
Jeff in VT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks